Best exterior paint for render

While we have scaffolding up for roof work thought it best to put a couple of coats on front of house - it's a render surface painted in magnolia. Dulux weathershield smooth is the gold standard I guess but are cheaper paints such as the Fortress in B&Q - currently on offer - just as good really?

E.

Reply to
eastender

I'd say this stuff is the gold standard. Beats the hell out of any water based paint, and magnolia is often on special offer

Then again, if the surface is sound and no damp trouble, use any old masonry paint

Reply to
stuart noble

eastender grunted in news:2013122313173959416- nospam@nospamcom:

I'm a big fan of Sandtex for that application

Reply to
Lobster

Well I'd rather pay a bit more the paint so it lasts. Did this place with Dulux Trade Weathershield two or three years ago and it still looks like it done last month. That was an all over pressure wash to remove old paint, dirt etc, a dilute (5% water IIRC) coat then two full coats. One gable has a few failure places but that's mainly due to moss in the joints growing through the paint film. I did clean a few of those out with a wire brush and the good paint didn't shift or appear to suffer any damage. repainted but it didn't take the moss long to reappear... Found the pot I used for brush painting, the coating of paint on the inside is a tough flexable "plastic" layer. I'm certainly well pleased so far.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice