Bendy skirting - the saga continues

Because if you bend a length of wood by pulling in the ends it forms a regular curve.

The wall is not a regular curve.

So the wood does not pre-bend to fit the wall.

In previously posted pictures the skirting is bent more than the curve of the wall.

With the mend, it almost fits.

It just needs a final pull in.

Which it has now had.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Sure, but you don?t have to bend it more by pulling in the ends, you can bend it using a different approach where you need something other than a regular curve like bending it between

3 solid things like is done with pipe benders.
Reply to
john james

Of course, pipe benders work on pipe - which stays bent.

Bend MDF skirting, and as soon as you release any of the tension it starts to unbend.

So you can't form it to an arbitrary curve then take it out of the formers and fix it to the wall.

It has to be fixed whilst under tension to preserve the curve.

Remember the aim is to screw the MDF skirting flush to a curved wall - you can't have any formers between the MDF and the wall.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I was talking about where the force is applied to what is being bent. That isn't just at the ends as you did it. So you don?t end up with a regular curve if that is not what you want.

But doesn?t end up straight again. So you are free to bend it more than you need and have it not require any special force to have it the shape you want when you screw it to the wall.

Of course you can.

Not if you bend it more than you need.

No one was suggesting that you have anything between the MDF and the wall, JUST that you can apply the force to the MDF in other than just the ends when bending it.

And you're free to have those other things on the inside of the curve so the MDF is forced into something other than a regular curve, screw the MDF to the wall with it like that and then remove those from the inside of the MDF once its screwed to the wall.

Reply to
john james

At this point I invite you to demonstrate your obvious experience by showing pictures of the MDF skirting you have bent and fixed as you describe.

Reply to
David

I didn?t take any photos of the entire house I built on a bare block of land doing much more complicated stuff than just bending some MDF.

Reply to
john james

Reply to
David

I don?t have any pictures of jet engine maintenance either.

It's perfectly possible anyway.

Reply to
john james