Bend it like who?

Since the position of being Van Nestleroy is taken, can I be the bloke who gave him the goal of the century, wassisname?

How do I go about that?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I hope no-one offers the crauts a small herd of cows. The Swiss were bad enough!

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

What exactly are you talking about?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Association Football, m'lud. A game of the lower classes who signify their low intellect to others by putting flags on their automobiles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hi don't know abaht that. I hain't gottah car.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

"Dave Plowman" wrote | Association Football, m'lud. A game of the lower classes who | signify their low intellect to others by putting flags on | their automobiles.

Her Majesty always has a little flag on the front of her automobile. Surely you're not suggesting ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hard, fast and furious. If you missed the Bulgarians vs Denmark then you missed a real treat.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Should be suitably grateful.

Football is tedious garbage.

Reply to
Huge

first half, yes. not so sure about the second...

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Oh is that what it's all about. I've seen a few of those this week, and people putting huge Engaland flags on their houses that disappear the moment that the team loses. So far I have been completely successful in avoiding anything to do with this Portugal nonsense.

Not that I am unpatriotic, you understand, far from it. However, I have always felt that countries and cultures are defined by more enduring things like their classical music.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And she's just about the only person who can carry it off without looking like a complete chav.

Reply to
Grunff

Plainsong you mean? Personally I think that football chants are international: Indecipherable, monotonous and very, very moving. Very, very moving. That's what they are! OOOOOHhhh OH! Very, very moving. That's what they are OOOOOHhhh OH!

Two world wars and one world cup doo dah doo dah.... Hmmmm.... That one could use some working on.

How about the Swiss National Anthem then? Sounds like 11 people trying to remember the words to: "Happy Birthday" and copying off each other sung by a team that speaks a variety of languages.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

That's one in cultures that have it. I have a pretty eclectic taste.

They do nothing for me at all, but then I don't see anything in football. I went to two matches in my entire life (to take my son to see Liverpool play). He seemed to enjoy it, ewhich is the main thing, but for myself I found the whole thing incredibly boring. Paying quite a lot of money for seats almost at the back of the stadium and watching 20 odd primadonnas kicking a ball about for an hour and a half was not one bit engaging.

Burial would be good.

I expect that they think that ours is a little strange as well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall
[19 lines snipped]

I must owe you a beer. Several beers.

Reply to
Huge

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that it's all a lot of bullshit, although I accept that I'm in the minority. I'm in the minority on a lot of things, but have never let it bother me too much.

Regarding the beer, maybe it's time for that London meet that we discussed a few months back.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

A few of the pubs around here have declared themselves as "Football Free Zones".

Reply to
Tony Williams

Actually, you aren't. Football is only watched by a minority. Not that you'd think it by the amount of coverage.

[4 lines snipped]

Fairy nuff.

[Consults calendar]

I assume people are not that keen on Fridays (although I would prefer them, myself)?

So, what about Thursday 1st July, the upstairs bar of The Brew Master, which is immediately adjacent to Leicester Square Tube Station. They do food for those who want it, or Soho is right next door for Chinese, Japanese or Indian, or Garfunkels in Leicester Square for posh burgers.

Huge

Most sports are utterly boring unless you know what is actually going on behind the scenes to an extent, or what the players are up to.

I have attended quite a few F1 races in my time: The best one was where I was sitting there with a stopwatch timing the first half dozen cars. You could tell when they were really trying, when they were cruising, when they had problems, or an 'off', and how good the pit stops were.

That plus a fair bit of research into the drivers styles, knowledge of the cars set-up and aerodynamics, and drivers' characters, made it a fascinating exercise for me.

But to the uninitiated, its just lots of noisy cars going past...

I find most sports passably interesting. If there is nowt else to do I will watch em on the box.

Not athletics tho. I simply cannot get interested in someone who runs around a track. Dunno know why.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the 7th or 8th.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Actually, the 2nd is better for me, anyway.

Anyone else?

Reply to
Huge