Belt Sander Advice Wtd

I am proposing to sand my bathroom floor .It's not very big .....about

4 sq m in total .

I have been looking at belt sanders and don't want to spend a lot on one .There are some at as low as £35 and others in £100-200 .I'd be wanting to keep to the £60-£80 range .

Has anyone any recommendations and sources ?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

I should have added I already have an orbital and a detail sander .

Reply to
Stuart B

So buy a dozen or more of course disc pads for the orbital sander,don't forget to hammer the nails into the FB's

If you do end up buying the BS do not pause the BS on the floor boards otherwise you'll leave a hollow :-)

Reply to
George

Probably cheaper to hire a decent one for the job.

The low end belt sanders are usually pretty poor - you need one with a metal chassis to be any practical use.

Ebay may find you a pre loved example. Failing that look at a random orbit sander.

More here:

John Rumm

Belt sanders are vicious beasts, very hard to control. A rndom orbit sander with a 40 grit disc gives nearly as much stock removal with much more control and will be a more useful tool afterwards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They're only fierce if used the wrong way. :-)

Reply to
George

Thx for that I do have one already so I'll get some coarse discs and try them to see how that goes .

Reply to
Stuart B

I'd say a belt sander is more of a "reshaping" than a "refinishing" tool.

For 4 sq m (in presumably a "use once" scenario), it falls short of my criteria for "buy a new tool" if another tool (your random orbit sander) is available that could tackle the job in a couple of hours at most.

However, let no rationalisation stand in the way of you buying a new power tool if you want it.

Reply to
dom

LOL :-)

"I need it for the business love".