bedding brass ring handle into decking

I've got a sandpit in my decking and on the lid, I want to put one of those brass ring handles so it lies flush with the decking. You know, the kind where you put your finger in the ring which is in a square base and yank it up.

Anyway the profile of the back of the handle is rather complicated. I have chiselled an approximate 'hole' into the board, but it doesn't lie exactly flat despite lots of effort and I don't want any of the uneven spaces behind the handle to become holes for attracting water.

Is there anything that I could put into the hole in order to 'bed' the handle into it? Some kind of sealant?

ROSIE

Reply to
Rosie

I recently asked on this group what those sort of handles wre called and I was informed that they are know as 'ring pulls' Googling for "ring pull" produces some VERY surprising results, and I THOUGHT I was broadminded

Nick Brooks

PS to solve your problem I'd suggest using putty

Reply to
Nick Brooks

I once got surprising results when looking for The National Honey Show ... an annual beekeeping event, held initially in Crystal Palace and this year at Hendon Air Museum, lots of places in between and the most respectable organisation you could imagine!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or exterior-grade silicone or acrylic sealant.

Reply to
rrh

A clers silicone sealent will squidge out if you put a dollop of it in the bottom of the hole, might be an idea to put some tape round the hole to make cleaning up easier. Might be an idea to use some clear wood preserver first as well.

If you want to find out which areas of the hole arnt deep enough use a candle, a tip from the gunsmithing trade. Use the candle flame to coat the underside ofthe ring pull with soot the place pull in the hole and the high areas will be coated with soot so you can see what has to be removed

Steve

Reply to
steve