BBQ

We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our price range is £80 to £110. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thank you

Reply to
Stewart

I can make an anti-recommendation. Don't buy an Outback. Ours is a PoS.

Reply to
Huge

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Get a charcoal starter - speeds things up no end;

The Medway Handyman

Dave, we had charcoal BBQs for years but decided about 8 years ago to change to gas, mainly for the convenience. I agree that the food takes better with charcoal but we just use it now to cook sausages, burgers and the occasional steak; these cook quite well on gas. Still have a small charcoal BBQ but never use it. Thanks all the same.

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Get a charcoal starter - speeds things up no end;

Stewart

Checkout Aldi next thursday, they are selling a 2 burner for £49.99.

Reply to
Corporal Jones

On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman grunted:

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al fresco

Reply to
Lobster

but cooking at a Barbeque is "a real man's job".

Reply to
charles

On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman grunted:

Just had a look at that - keep meaning to get one. But - the one reviewer of the above Asda item says that his chimney melted

-??!?

Reply to
Lobster

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You get to cook whilst pissed and sitting in a deckchair.

There are no saucepans to wash as you just blast-furnace the grid before cooking next time :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1

Strikes me as a sheple thing designed to annoy your neighbours with plumes of smoke and stench of burning dead animal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Absolutely - there's nothing worse on a fine summers evening than the unpleasant stench of fire-lighters/charcoal burning/acrid smoke. I'll bet if you lit a garden bonfire on the same balmy evening the barbecuers would bitch like hell about it.

Reply to
Bob Henson

The idea is the fat and juices drip onto a plate of hot metal (aromizer bar) and the smoke infuses the food (meat) with a tang.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My gas barbie has a tray of lava rocks which the gas is supposed to heat up, which then cooks the food. It's an Outback of some description and it's a PoS. It never gets hot enough, the gas blows out in the merest zephyr, the cooking area is too small. I wish we'd never bought it. The charcoal one which preceded it was far superior.

Reply to
Huge

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside and half-cooked on the inside.

Saucepans just go into the dishwasher.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I don't need a BBQ to do that ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It says it's made of steel, so what was the bloke using to start his bbq, thermite?

Reply to
Gazz

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've used mine twice so far, paint has melted off, but that's all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If that is the case (and I am not convinced) I have yet to go to a barbecue where the person cooking knows how to cook on a barbecue.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar