bayonet lampholders

No they have extra pins because some of the control gear is in the fitting.

Reply to
charles

Car rear brake/side lights have two bayonet pins that are depth offset to ensure that the right filaments are used for brake and side light functions. Doesn't work so well. I follow many oddly lit cars that the owners have evidently managed to force the bulb in upside down.

Reply to
Adrian C

You can still find brass and ceramic BC lampholders which will last a lifetime. You gets what you pay for with all these things. A cheap ES holder is just as likely to give problems eventually.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or there is a ground problem with the rear lights - far more common. Twin filament stop/tail bulbs aren't as universal as once - with the larger rear lights now popular, many have separate bulbs. And of course LED is becoming the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , DerbyBorn writes

whoa. and still in use 117 years later. Not bad going :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Jim Hawkins formulated the question :

Except that GES tend to be made for other than UK where they use 230v, where as you have a better chance of a genuine 240v lamp buying BC.

It might well say 220 - 240v on the box, but they will last 5 minutes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

can you elaborate? why would a ground issue make the brake filament light when car lights are on? (and vice versa)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

With no ground a circuit may find a ground via another different circuit. When that is powered up the first one looses that ground. Hence things like a tail light flashing on and off in sync with the flashers. Or any other combination, really.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Brian Gaff put finger to keyboard:

BR passenger rolling stock used to (in the 80s) use three-pin bayonet fittings, presumably to prevent theft.

Reply to
Scion

You could have said

"And us Aussies aussi."

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I have memories of trying to remove a bayonet light bulb that had been in the fitting so long that the spring contacts of the fitting had deeply impressed themselves into the solder of the bulb contacts. The results were not dissimilar.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I expect your newsreader deletes them as it should, unlike the improperly formatted, irrelevant, incorrect s**te that comes out of avast.

Reply to
Huge

I expect thousands know how to use a search engine. Unlike you. And something about the culture and history of the medium they're using. Unlike you. I expect lots of people are using software that complies with Usenet standards. Unlike you. Maybe they have brains and a tiny spot of tolerance. Unlike you. I expect some people realise that inverted commas mean that something is a quotation. Unlike you. In short, in what way do you have greater value than the piece of space-time continuum you occupy?

(For the avoidance of doubt, this paragraph is directed at Tim (killfiled) Streater and not Nightjar. I don't see the inane dribblings of Streater unless someone quotes him.)

Reply to
Huge

On 27/02/2014 14:43, Huge wrote: ...

I have to admit I had to Google for the ship name. I've not read the later books in the Culture series.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You are Bill Wright AICMFP. Either that or you've got ants in your pants again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The irony is sublime.

Reply to