Baxi making "kettling" sounds

The flat that we rent out has a Baxi Mermuda (601?) back boiler that's making "kettling" sounds. The system is pumped with a 3 way valve (Y plan?). I guess the boiler's getting a bit ancient but it passes the safety tests OK.

I'll try turning up the pump speed but is the problem likely to be a scale build up? If so, what's the best additive to try to descale it? (Because the rads have vent keys at the back (!!!) I'll need to add anything via the header tank).

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

More likely to be sludge, because the heating water is (or should be) a closed system. Once the initial calcium and magnesium salts in the water are deposited, that should be it.

Try draining and flushing the system at the boiler. There should be a drain c*ck next to it. After that, you could refill and run a flushing agent through the system for a few days. Flush with clean water and then add inhibitor. There are also system quietening additives, but the system should be cleaned first.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Dave. Try checking the position of all valves and drain-off as bad positioning can lead to kettling

Reply to
Keithc666767117