Battery polarity mistake

I have a electronic safe and the low battery light flashed so I bought 4 Duracell AAs for it.

I accidentally put all 4 in the same way instead of one row in one dirction and the other opposite ( The originals had gold bands at both ends and I was working in the gloom with my varifocals at a bad angle)

Within about half a minute when it appeared dead I realised my mistake.

Will I have seriously shortened the life of the batteries with this mistake? If so, I will change them again.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I doubt if you've done any harm at all. I'd *guess* that the four batteries should be in series to provide 6 volts or so. Putting all four in the same way will have produced zero volts, no current flows so no harm done.

I am a *little* confused by you saying "one row in one dirction and the other opposite" though. How are the batteries arranged? Is it 'two and two' so what you have called 'one row' is a pair of cells?

Reply to
Chris Green

No - their voltages will have canceled out and no current flowed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed. Only all of them backwards might cause problems, but often the contacts only work on positive sticky out ends anyway.

I assume it's 4 in series, folded round in half. A common system, one end is just a connection between the two battery ends, the other ends lead to the load.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Yes - that is how I now understand it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Better quality battery holders won't connect at the bottom end if inserted back to front so probably no damage. Your safe should also have a backup c apacitor that preserves the entry code for a few minutes while the batterie s are being changed and this would have discharged if the batteries were pu t in wrong.

Reply to
therustyone

Normally all four would be connected in series to provide a 6V supply. by reversing 2, you create a circuit where close to zero current will flow, and so you will draw little or no energy from the cells.

Reply to
John Rumm

Probably not, it really depends on how equal they were in the first place I'd imagine. Strange battery holder that allows batteries to connect in the opposite way aroundnd at all, There is normally a small soulder on the plus end of the compartment to keep the negative end from contacting the contact itself. Brian Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is normal and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this e-Mail message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it out and make paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "DerbyBorn" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 3:30 PM Subject: Battery polarity mistake

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian - It was difficult to fit them! I realise now that there was a spring at the end where I had pushed a positive. It was due to me working in the gloom of the bottom of my wardrobe and making wrong assumptions about the gold band on the old batteries.

On reflection, I can't believe I did it wrong as I thought it was a bit unusual to have all 4 facing the same way. Two pairs in series.

all okay now though - thanks.

Reply to
DerbyBorn