battery chargers

Is there any essential difference in charger specification for gel batteries fitted to motorised wheelchairs as opposed to conventional lead acid?

Charger from original suppliers is around £70.00 del. whereas there appear to be chargers available on line for around £25.00.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, gel electrolyte battery chargers have better output voltage and current control than normal chargers.

For cheapness, Maplin do a couple of chargers suitable for gel electrolyte lead acid batteries.

may need to sort out a connector to match the one on the chair.

Check the voltage used on the chair, too, as I think some of them are 24 volt, not 12.

Reply to
John Williamson

Ah! This particular battery is 12V 20Ah so perhaps I am being too parsimonious:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Gel batteries require a theoretical constant voltage charge. They are not tolerant of overcharging unlike a wet type. However many modern chargers can do both - you just need to check the spec. And make sure it does mention gel rather than sealed.

I'm not surprised an original dedicated charger costs much much more than a generic suitable one. Exactly the same applies to laptops, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A charger to do an overnight charge for a 20 Ah battery should be available for 20 quid or less. Assuming you can get a suitable connector.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gel cells must be charged at lower voltage, IIRC 13.6v max (per 6 cells). They dont survive faster chargeing the way wet cells do.

NT

Reply to
NT

Yes! Voltage is different. This matters, otherwise you'll reduce the lifetime of your gel batteries.

Unfortunately the cheap wall-wart gel chargers are too low output current to charge a wheelchair in a useful time. Best approach is to either build (DIY or kit, chipsets are easy and widespread) or find a hefty car charger and then play with the output regulation.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ideally all lead acid batteries require constant voltage charging. Gel batteries are just more sensitive to gassing and subsequent loss of electrolyte through "over" or prolonged charging.

Reply to
Fredxx

Most wheelchairs use two batteries in series to give 24V. 24V sealed lead acid chargers are less common and hence more expensive. The wheelchair ones tend to be quite complex as well.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , Peter Parry writes

OK chaps. I think I have got the picture.

This is actually a *clip on* 12V motorised wheel fitted to a standard chair.

The Battery is horizontal in use so it is certainly sealed. I am not

100% sure about the gel bit.

I have found an outlet supplying batteries and chargers for golf trollies which comes at £35.00 and claims to be suitable for GEL and AGM whatever that is. The connector is *Torberry* which should fit.

The purpose is to lend the kit to a friend. I know I should be creating one from dead microwave ovens etc. but life is currently too short:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Gas Mat - supposedly better than gel and takes normal lead acid charge.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Developed in '85, yet still hardly common. The advantages are obviously not killer ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Ah!

I hadn't come across those.

Major c*ck up on ordering the charger... Sage Pay took me through the procedure for Barclaycard secure online purchase but, after entering my password, appeared to lock me out with a *page unobtainable* message.

I assumed the order had not gone through and re-ordered using a different card. You guessed it, two confirmation mails!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Brand name Optima. Over hyped and over priced. They boast in their advertising that they last longer than a standard battery, but only offer a warranty poorer than many of those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ctek 3600 or MXS3.6 (replacement 2011 model). Ctek 4300 or MXS4.3 (at a guess, similar 2011 model).

Amazon & Ebay list them, about 35-49 if I recall. Well regarded.

Reply to
js.b1

Given that it's only a 20 Ah battery and likely just needs an overnight charge, that's a lot of money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wheelchair = health budget, golf trolley = leisure/hobby. Both money no object activities:-)

Battery charger on way at 35 plus del.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Oh indeed. Cars too, come to that. The lovely little Lidl/Aldi charger at about 13 quid will cost you 3 times that from a car place. And a 'maintenance' only one - just a low current wall wart in essence - about the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

I must add another recommendation for the Lidl charger - one of mine developed a worrying bulge and stopped working (I'd been sorely abusing it). The kompernasse agent sent a mailing sticker and a week later I had a brand-new replacement under warranty. I kept the croc-clips from the old one as I quite like them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon