Bathroom's finished - woohoo!!

Woohoo - bathroom's finally finished!! Just a quick note to thank everyone for the various bits of assistance over the last few months.

Time to start on the kitchen... :-)

Andy

P.S. - To report back on this particular post (was: Concealed shower outlet) I ended up using a combination of fibre washers stacked on top of each other, hemp and jointing compound - seems to have given a good seal!

>>> Fixing a concealed shower outlet using a wall plate elbow... > >>> Andy > >>> > >> Yeah, make best estimate of tile & adhesive thickness when fixing the > >> elbow. If you briefly screw the outlet into place immediately after > >> fixing the tiles, it'll squash the tile/adhesive to the right level +/-. > >> I finally fixed my outlet with a good dose of silicone joint compound on > >> threads, locked in place & no leaks. > > > >Just to report back on this one, it went slightly awry but not the end of > >the world. Even though I carefully measured the depth of the wall plate > >elbow beforehand it's slightly *too* recessed - so when it came to > >tightening up the shower outlet to squeeze the adhesive down I cannot FULLY > >tighten it for fear of cracking the tile. I think I've come up with a plan > >involving some silicone, PTFE, plumbers mait and lots of washers stacked on > >top of each other. So, I have a couple more questions... > > > >1. Fibre or rubber washers? > > > >2. What's the best thing to use to seal the thread between the wall elbow > >and the shower outlet? Lots of PTFE, plumbers mait or something else? > > Hi, > > I would try wrapping hemp around the thread and sealing over it with a > sealant like Fernox LS-X. The hemp should expand on contact with water > and give a mechanically tight seal, and the sealant should seal the > water in.
Reply to
Pecanfan

And when you've finished that?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Loft, hallway & stairs, bedroom 1, bedroom 2 and living room... oh and the yard. Most of that's fairly minor work though, apart from the loft which I'm trying to forget about at the moment. :-)

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

Sounds like us, except that we haven't done the bathroom yet ... and there are even more things on the list :-)

I just hope we live longenough to get round to it1

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Know the feeling - if there was any sign of light at the end of the tunnel it would improve matters slightly. Up until recently our old bathroom was in our kitchen - now our old kitchen is in our living room and our new kitchen is in the bedroom. Have to say, I could get used to having a fridge next to the TV though... :-)

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

You really know how to confuse don't you!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sounds a bit like me. A few years ago, I did the kitchen and bathroom. A small part of the old kitchen (a pair of cupboards with worktop, the fridge/freezer, and the disconnected cooker) got moved into the dining room, and the new kitchen was piled up in the living room. Meanwhile, kitchen and bathroom were gutted, new floor, rewired, replacement windows, replastered, etc. Bathroom suite stood outside in the back garden during the day, and was moved back in and pipework coupled up each night so it could be used, for a bath in particular. I think I could get the bath unplumbed and out into the garden in about a minute with the practice, and reinstalled in a couple of mintues;-) I ended up being much busier at work than I had thought, and it was like this for some months, to varying degrees. However, it was eventually finished, and well worth the effort.

The first part of such a task is rather dishartening. Just about everything you do is destructive and seemingly moving the house further from the condition you want it in, but eventually you tip the see-saw, and are doing constructive work, and can see everything coming together.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm finding reasons for putting off just painting the kitchen because I know it will take ages and necessitate moving masses of stuff - while still needing to be used :-(

It won't be as bad as when the children were young and at home thank goodness, but we're not fit enough to stay up all through the night any more which we did then.

It's one of the penalties for having a tiny kitchen :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Know what you mean there - we're just about at the 'reconstruction' phase. Got a few more walls to chase and what not and then it's a case of putting everything back together, apart from the loft of course... which will just be sheer devastation.

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan