Bathroom floor options

Just contemplating alternative for a bathroom floor covering... was originally considering traditional tiling of some form, with some over mats for safety / comfort where needed, but thought I would canvass opinion on other options.

Anyone tried the any of the various posh vinyl tile type options (Karndean etc)? What are they like from a care / slip resistance / general feel / installation point of view?

Reply to
John Rumm

I just stuck self adhesive tiles down to the chip (which I varnished first) in a flat a long time ago - they were fine and remained waterproof.

Reply to
Tim Watts

yeah I used those - loke 'marley' tiles. They are hard wearing not too slippy and cheap...

but I perefer textured tiles or stone...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My daughters house has Amtico laid in all bathrooms toilets and also the ki tchen. Seems quite hardwearing although she has put a few dents in dropping heavy objects. It does not feel slippery underfoot but then again I have o nly walked on a dry floor. We had ceramic tiled floors in our last house in the kitchen and bathroom. No problems on the solid floor in the kitchen bu t virtually had to relay the bathroom despite over plying the T&G and spaci ng the screws as advised, many cracked tiles! Once re-done the tiles stayed intact until we left however, I never had the confidence in them and as a result of that experience and seeing the same problems with professionally laid floors would never again tile a suspended floor again.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

First time I tied they cracked. relaid with 6mm bed of flexible. No problems.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've often wondered why we don't use pond linners for floors! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:ojdpn9$egd$4 @dont-email.me:

I am interested in the sheet lino type of solutions as I don't want to creat a step due to ply and then tiles.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Apologies if it's insultingly "institutional" but I visited a house with bathroom and loo floors done with the resin flooring of the kind often seen in hospitals. It certainly had excellent grip, and the owners said it was so far wearing well. In a domestic context - with tiled walls - it didn't look bad to me - but then I'm not an aesthete when it comes to colours, patterns etc.

And while I hope it's not relevant to you, I made a mental note of it because they too have a Victorian house which moves about a bit and they'd been advised that the system copes with that.

Reply to
Robin

Andrew

That sounds like marmoleum

Reply to
Andrew

Did you use flexible adhesive? The tiles I laid straight on to 18mm green chipboard (using flexible adhesive) still looked good more than 10 years later when we sold the house.

Reply to
nomail

Is that linoleum that's been marmalised?

I'll get me coat...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought Marmoleum was a brand of linoleum that came on a roll. This was a poured covering which involved several layers.

Reply to
Robin

I didn't use ply, I used 12mm cementicious backer board. Nothing has moved in the three years since then.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't want 12mm!

Could I use some sort of filler and then a lino type of product?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We used "laminate for bathrooms" upstairs which looks like tiles.

So far so good, but we don't cover it in water and use a bath mat to keep water off the floor.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

12mm of board, plus the tiles themselves gave a fairly good match in height to the underlay and carpet on the landing. Worked well for us.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

When I did a wood floor recently I used 21mm boards with 5mm underlay. The finished height was not that different from 11mm of underlay and perhaps 8 to 10mm of pile on the carpet.

Reply to
John Rumm

We just had laid: Quartz Pro Pu Sand leoline 376396098 vinyl sheet in one shower room - looks good some texture. and awaiting

vinyl tiles for the bathroom - these do not require sticking down to the subfloor which I am trying to avoid.

Reply to
Robert

I am slightly wary of some of the textured vinyl products since I saw one floor board effect one that looked quite good, but was so heavily textured that the groves tended to attract dirt and it was surprisingly difficult to clean - which is usually one of the selling points of vinyl.

ok that looks promising. I quite like the idea of something elemental rather than a traditional large sheet of flooring.

Reply to
John Rumm