Basic plumbing - compression joints.

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Noted, thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

But you may not be able to solder them if there's any water left in the pipe and/or if the pipe isn't spotlessly clean, with every molecule of paint removed.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not to mention my general trepidation using a compression fitting. Were I to solder, I'd never dare turn the water back on!

Reply to
Graeme

Compression joints are easy enough - on small pipes, anyway. [You need a lot of torque on 28mm and above]. What size is the pipe you're capping?

Just push the fitting firmly onto the pipe, hold the body with one spanner and turn the compression nut with another. You can 'feel' when it's tight.

I always do mine up, and then dismantle them to make sure that the olives have crimped ok, and then re-assemble them with a smear of LS-X round the olive, and finally tighten them.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , Roger Mills writes

Only 15mm, so should be straightforward.

OK.

Noted, thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

A pal who was a pro plumber used to wrap some PTFE tape round the olive. Since it was good enough for him, I do too. Cheaper and less messy than LS-X.

Do understand the theory that if everything is perfect it will seal OK dry, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also noted :-)

Reply to
Graeme

I've had several leaks from doing them up good & tight. Doing them up _real_ tight usually solves it. Compression is great on new pipe. Old pipes are less certain IMLE.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's got more chance on old pipes than either solder or pushfit.

Reply to
Roger Mills

How you you work that out? Any old copper pipe can be cleaned to perfection, and solder will fill any gaps. Obviously you have to make sure there is no water in the pipe close to the end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're making a joint on an *installed* pipe - as the OP is - it is often difficult to get access to clean it completely, particularly if it's got paint on it.

A compression joint with a smear of LS-X or - if you prefer - a wrap of PTFE tape can cover a multitude of sins.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You need it to be clean for a compression fitting to work too.

But a cleaning strip works well on a pipe close to a wall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it can't cover many sins at all, there lies the problem. Compression & solder cover different sins, neither does them all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Isn't this one of the very instances we bought our multitools for? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They are good for thing like plunge cuts into a pipe surrounded by others. I tend reach for my small 10.8V reciprocating saw for most plumbing cuts that I can't do with a pipe cutter since its much faster and the blades are cheaper and more robust.

Reply to
John Rumm