Bare boards in bathroom

I think any conservation officers reading this are despairing of your comments right now. Do what you propose on any listed building or one in certain conservation areas and you'll be quite rightly prosecuted.

If you want a shiny wood finish lay new boards over the old ones to preserve the original as is.

Reply to
Mike

There's a little tear in your hat and the bogon flux is leaking in again.

I've sanded loads of floors. I've removed more timber from them by pulling out rotted boards entire than I've ever taken off the top by sanding. Why don't you ban dry rot first ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Doesn't mean they've got them...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Then you're obviously not heavily involved in the preservation and renovation of old houses. This fashion fad of sanding floors is doing massive damage to our housing infrastructure and is exactly what the government should be concentrating on banning rather than making upgrading the electrics difficult.

Reply to
Mike

They're supposed to be for a good reason - ventilation. If people don't have them they shouldn't complain about steamy bathrooms :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No-one's talking about a shiny wood finish, you're making assumptions. What's more, even if they were, what's wrong with a shiny new finish? Your personal prejudices are showing.

And what's the point in hiding original features?

I don't know any historical buildings where that's done. That, before you jump in to prove me wrong, doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nice one :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Definitely! Especially if you have children.....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

We have had a couple of bathrooms like this in the past and two out of three are like that here, haven't regretted it so far. You do have to be careful with spills though. Then again, the main bathroom here has hardboard and lino on top (previous owner) and a shower screen which is easy to leave ajar. The water just goes to the edge of the room and then comes down through the gaps! We don't have downstairs ceilings, just the undersides of the floorboards, which have years of water stains on them already, so it's just a case of getting a towel upstairs and a bucket downstairs. YMMV :-)

-- Holly, in France. Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

Holly, in France

Slightly different problem: My house (listed) has floorboards whic have never been sanded (well, not since 1933, at the very latest), bu where some oik of a council officer decided in 1960 to glue lino tile and then carpet (glued all over) on top. Do you have any suggestions o how to recover this (which moeover has been chopped up by variou electricians and plumbers since the 60s) without sanding or wholesal replacement/covering

-- Davide

Reply to
Davide

But that would necessitate removing wood from the bottom of the original door.

Perhaps we should all strip the plaster from our chimney breasts so we can admire the original bricks ;^>

Reply to
Rob Morley

No need - you can buy wall coverings with convincing printed bricks, stone, wood finishes or whatever which save the mess. I've seen it done.

I've also seen deliberately stripped original brickwork as a feature, with all its faults - faults because it was intended to be concealed with plaster.

Human beings, eh?

!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is he still alive?

Nail him to the local church door.

/litote on/ Oh well, you can't deprive people of water, heat, light and all that sort of thing just because they live in a listed house ... /litote off/

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

English (or Scottish) Heritage working with local conservation officers of course. They're the experts. Certainly it is not up to me or you, even if we own those buildings.

Reply to
Mike

Nonsense. The door will be set higher to allow for rugs.

Reply to
Mike

For once I agree with you.

Carpet ?

Wanna bet ? Many listed buildings have had proposed modern heating systems rejected by their conservation officer.

Reply to
Mike

Go to SPAB, mention lime harling and "Scottish Heritage" in the same breath ! See what reaction you get.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

RUGS?

There's posh.