Ballbarrow ball

I have an original ballbarrow (Dyson's first invention) but the tyre has perished and split badly.

I have searched on the internet for a replacement tyre, but can't find one. Plenty of barrow tyres, and plenty of modern ballbarrows, but no ball tyres AFAICS. Anyone know of a source?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Can you still by them,I'd not seen one for years. Obviously watched the tv the other night then, where there was one which was collectable and a grass sledge based on the same balls. A death trap. I'm assuming the company itself has no spares? Like most plastic things they like to be kept frost and UV free during their lives. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well that's Die soon for ya!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If a third party started making replacements, they'd be sued for patent infringement unless they buy a license from Dyson.

Wait until that expires?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Basically Dyson no longer makes this POS, stocks no spares for it and every other owner sent theirs to the skip years ago.

I suggest you follow their lead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

status: expired

Reply to
Andy Burns

What a shame you didn't mention this fifty years ago: I could have saved my ballbarrow ball for you.

I was a mid-seventies early-adopter of the ballbarrow. It did a really great season while I was digging up and replanting the back garden of the house we had just bought.

Then I put it away in the shed for the winter.

Next season, I went to use my ballbarrow and found that underneath the rather skimpy paint job on the steel tube frame, the welded joints had rotted away. This was before the EU helped us improve consumer protection in the UK so if there had been any sort of guarantee it would have only been for a year and it would have already expired. So the whole thing - ball and all ended up in a skip and I swore never, ever to buy a Dyson product again. I have been true to my word ever since.

Nick snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca

Reply to
Nick Odell

That is the most likely outcome!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

"beach balloon wheel" ?

That's about as close to a shape as I could get.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

They were great on soft ground, also stony ground where the very wide wheel made a far smoother ride. But IIRC the plastic was not robust. It shouldn't be too hard to lash up an extra wide wheel in wood or metal. Whether it's worth doing I don't know.

Reply to
Animal