Back to wall toilets and concealed cisterns

Thinking of a back to wall toilet, the appeal of being able to mop underneath a wall-hung seems less than my concern about how sturdy they are to the wall, so looking at floor standing ones.

Cistern to go behind stud/aquapanel/tiled wall, not got miles of depth to play with, so don't think I'll find a 9 litre one for extra flushing power that will fit, thinking of this cistern, which fits in 125mm

Looking at the diagrams on various websites, e.g.

they show the centres and lengths required for flush and soil pipes, obviously there's chance to do a first fit of the plumbing without the tiling and aquapanel in place, but once tiled, you're working blind for the final fit, is it really just a case of shoving the loo straight back on the pipework? I have visions of it being fiddly ...

Anyone fitted them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Have you considered a loft mounted cistern (assuming your instalation is upstairs)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Don't forget that, sooner or later, you may need to get at the cistern for maintenance you can't manage through the front access, so think out how you will achieve that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It is a possibility, I'd "sort of" considered it a while ago, I presume you use a pneumatic release? the pipe could go in the boxing in, but might make me reconsider some recessed shelves I was also thinking of...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gahhh!

Why are 9l cisterns only available with lever flush or automatic flush (for urinals), rather than pneumatic flush?

Also any opinions as to whether the pneumatic variety are likely to get 'reluctant' to flush easily when fitted with longer tubing?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Being high level, you might not need so much water. My recollection of ceiling mounted flushes is they discharge with such force due to head of water they always clear the pan, although not necessarily down the drain ;-)

Don't know. Suppose you could extend with some thin copper tubing, which is not going to expand any under pressure from the button. Could even use thinner tube so there's less volume to compress too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Correct IME. I have a very modern bought "traditional style" and it bombs through the pan - a decent bit of velocity on the water does compensate for the lack of volume.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Chris J Dixon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

.....and take it into account when tileing. A heavy handed button pusher can blow the tube off.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I did one maybe six months ago. I don't know if this'll help in your situation, but I got a sort of concertina flush pipe at the same time, which you can extend to make sure it's fitted both ends, and then push the loo back to collapse it. Seemed to go together nicely, and still working well.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Aye, the one we have don't half whoooosh the water round the pan most does go down the soil pipe but there is some measure of spray.

I suspect you also need a pan designed for a high level cistern as well. The water is going so fast it'll just shoot round the rim 'till it meets itself then hit the bowl. Very little will wash down the back of the pan to deal with the skid marks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice