Back Room

That's the AV cabinet over the stairs finished. I want to keep the woody look about it, not paint it. It's partly MDF and wood. Anybody got any suggestions for a finish on MDF? I suppose I could just varnish it, unless there's a better way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Wood veneer?

You ain't going to make MDF look like wood, otherwise. If you varnish it, it will look like . . . varnished MDF!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Fablon!

I don't mind the look of fresh MDF, just want to keep it that way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What's that wood-grain paint for kitchen units like? Is it credible or just tacky? I saw it on TV and it looked OK there but...

Reply to
PeterC

The only way I can think of is to use wood drain varnish e.g.

used it about 15 years ago and it looked quite realistic. B&Q used to sell it but I'm not sure if they still do.

Reply to
Wesley

Wood graining instructions using individual components are available here

Wesley

I managed to varnish an MDF bath panel with a dark varnish. Multiple layers and re-brushing before dry ended up with a very convincing wood-grain.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Interesting, ta. Thanks all, for ideas.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I managed to get a reasonably effective fake wood effect using a quick drying dark varnish and a crappy brush. Slap on and brush badly in one direction - leaves a grainy type of finish. Then when dry, give it some final coats of whatever clear or coloured coat you are using elsewhere.

Reply to
John Rumm

> I used it about 15 years ago and it looked quite realistic. B&Q used to

This was the result I got using ordinary varnish and a scratchy brush (i.e. one that had not been cleaned that well previous time, and still had some bristles bonded together in clumps!):

John Rumm