B&Q power tool warranty

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Possibly. Depends if you are using it as a drill or driver, or both, if there is power available (safely ... ladders etc) and maybe weight/handling might be a factor.

I'd say this is unusual for DIY - or at least likely to be expensive to take into consideration when buying cordless tools. Of course if you're a pro, things will be different.
--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Again possibly. Depends on the scope of the jobs at hand I guess.
I'm no pro, as you will be able to guess from my other posts ;-) but the factors of weight, power for drilling (even masonry) and fine torque control were all considerations when I bought my latest DD.
Also, I think I would have been frustrated with a slow charge time building my timber garage last year which required pretty constant bursts of drilling and screwing for a day or so. And for boarding out a floor (approx 150 1.5" screws).
The comment about ladders came from my experiences moving my satellite dish move the other week. The DD was much more civilised to use one handed on a ladder but I had to finish off with a power drill as I chose the only stone on the wall that was as hard as steel (seemingly).
Alex

Many of the builders I know specifically buy cheap tools. They're sick of losing their Makitas on building sites and would rather have a NuTool that's still going to be there when they've returned from their cuppa.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

The fitters who recently put up my conservatory. Had a combination of Makita 12v (I think), Ryobi 18v, and "Marksman" 14.4. All charging in an hour or under AIUI.
Marksman Combi set was 40 and had lasted them about a year, bats still holding charge etc. They rated this pretty highly on the value for money stakes.
Alex.
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:53:17 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"

Three years down the road on all products?

This assumes that there is a criterion of buying on price rather than quality. THis post is a classic demonstration of the outcome of doing that.
I find it hard to believe that even you think that a 5 product from Woolies (even if such a thing were to exist) is comparable to a quality drill.... Actually, perhaps I don't
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I do have a PPPro 18 volt drill which is more than 3 years old and have seen spare batteries in stock for it recently at my local warehouse. However, I re-celled one of my two with good quality cells and it improved the performance vastly.
--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.

So you buy everything purely on price? What's the cheapest boiler?
And you claim to have bought a Prius car when a 200 quid banger will get you from A to B?
[snip the rest of the drooling]
--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

I said "30??? Woolies have an 18v for 5". I did not say I bought one. Your mind rambles all the time and then drivel and babble emerges.
<snip senile babble>

So just another of your pointless points?
[snip drooling]
--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

I said "30??? Woolies have an 18v for 5".
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:07:09 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"

So why suggest it as a solution? We both know that it's a silly idea - or at least I do....
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
JoeJoe wrote:

Not cheap, but certainly nasty.

Not really - you bought a crappy PPPro, it lasted 3 years. That's as much as you could possibly expect.
When I was looking for an 18V combi, I tried many drills. One of those was an 18V PPPro. I used it for one day and took it straight back - the quality was terrible.

Buy a better drill next time.

I don't think you have any chance.
--
Grunff