ATX motherboards.

Think on this MB VGA warning simply refers to the monitor output. The MB doesn't have a VGA output - only HDMI and Display Port (something I know even less about) ;-)

The KVM unit is an expensive ATN Masterview DVI/PS2.

The output on the Acorn ViewFinder add on card DVI only. Dunno if the ASUS card on the old system did VGA.

The leads to the KVM have two groups of 9 pins with only a single (large) spade to the side where you sometimes see a further 4 pins

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Worth forcing its hand.

What type of DVI output is on the old card? Do the cables you're using have a horizontal or vertical "blade" on the plug?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just tried it. No difference.

The female on the card appears to be fully populated. It's a right angle type so you can easily see all the output leads going to the PCB. But more difficult to know if they are all actually connected to anything. Like all such things, they likely do different versions sharing the same PCB.

The large spade pin in the lead is orientated to match to the long side of the connector body. All the DVI leads I have are the same in that way. The socket on the card does have a cross for that pin, but the other part of the cross much too thin to take that spade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, so not using the analogue connection then (the 4 pins around the cross are R/G/B and one of the syncs when used that way, with the spade oriented the other way on the plug).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yours is probably the DVI-D Single Link, the middle one in the diagram here. The single spade would be a ground.

And looking at Aten documentation, they keep mentioning analog, yet the specs only give information on the DVI digital portion. Having the holes for analog connections in the connector, isn't exactly "compatibility" and the product should just say it's totally digital.

A good KVM, keeps the computer signal terminated, so that the computer doesn't automatically switch away the output from that port.

The Aten also mentions copying the EDID from the monitor end, so that every port on the computer side, can see its own EDID without conflict.

If I had to debug this setup, I'd be connecting the monitor directly to the new computer, to establish baseline behavior.

There have been monitors which don't "smack" of compatibility. It was perhaps a few Samsung HDMI ports, where there was some disagreement about something. None of the threads I've seen on this, established a root cause. It wasn't HDCP necessarily, because an HDCP failure could just deliver colored snow (crypto) if it wanted.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Since the MB has on board graphics and an HDMI port, I would connect it directly to an HDMI monitor, or failing that that just use the TV as an initial setup monitor !

Reply to
Andrew

No. It's a new MB with a new Win10 pro installation. The old DVI card gives the same bleep bleep bleep and failing to boot. So not possible to install the driver for it.

That's how it always has been on this new MB. The only driver in Win 10 device manager for display adaptor is the Intel UHD Graphics 630.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If its the ATEN CS1762 (can you confirm Dave?)

Then it suggests it does DVI-I, so both digital and analogue. (the max DVI resolution would also suggest this)

(my CS1642 on the other hand is digital only, and specified "dual link" in all the descriptions, and also supports higher DVI resolutions)

Reply to
John Rumm