Astroturf sink cleaning

Hi

I need some help cleaning an astroturf sink - OK :) I know its not astroturf, but its something similar, astrolux, astrolite, something like that (Google didnt help on the name).

These things are horrors to clean: what is and isnt safe to use on them? All I know so far is one can get a temporary improvement by bleach, and detergent alone doesnt do anything.

thanks hopefully!, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

It's astrolite and Cif is an approved cleanser though there are a few others. Bleach may remove the colouration..

Reply to
Mike

That's a disappointment I was imagining a green hairy sink and revelling in the thought.

Turner prize candidate?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is it the sink itself though, or is it a layer of limescale which is becoming discoloured?

The "Astracast" "Rok" sink we currently have seems pretty impervious to staining, in 3 years it's only ever needed a wipe over with Flash or similar.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

You appear to be unable to spell "Jif" and the advertisers appear to be unable to pronounce "Cif".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Apparently it's an Asterite Surface from ICI - according to the bottle of Asterkleen cleaner we've had ever snce we moved here some 8 years ago. We got it from our local (big) ironmongers & hardware shop.

Ours is a 2 ½ bowl sink with waste disposal in the ½ bowl, and that gets stained quite badly, what with coffee grounds, tea bags and cat food going down. I've used the Asterkleen occasionally but TBH the household authority usually uses a little bleach in plenty of water left in the bowl for a while, or supermarket's own brand creme cleaner and those get rid of the staining. Not tried descaling suggested by other posters.

Reply to
Wanderer

Isn't he a character in Futurama?

Reply to
James Hart

Unilever changed the name worldwide to Cif many years ago.

Reply to
Mike

Damp surface and then rub with bicarbonate of soda on damp cloth then rinse - cheap, environmentally friendly and works a treat.

Reply to
clett

Indeed. Stupid but true.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks to everyone for some good suggestions - will try cream cleaner to start with,

I dont know what that is. Asterite is a thin plastic coating on steel, and comes in various colours. Looks great at first, but a complete pig to clean, and not especially durable.

I think a lot of the problem is from limescale, but what kind of descaler to use? Citric acid is pretty well useless. Phosphoric? Sulphamic? Hydrochloric? Acetic? I usually use HCl to descale, but I just assumed that would destroy anything but ceramics, glass and polyester. Many commerical descalers are citric, but I've never gotten anywhere with the stuff. Maybe if it had all year to work it might, and a 1 micron film of scale.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Vinegar - acetic acid. Use the clear stuff, sit back & watch it fizz....

Reply to
Phil

Vinegar - acetic acid. Use the clear stuff, sit back & watch it fizz....

Reply to
Phil

I bet you call Marathon bars Snickers as well.

Cif, pronounced "Jif", everywhere except the UK.

Reply to
Steve Firth