Kitchen flooring - Vinyl, Lino...?

Had some carpet put done today and I asked the fitter some questions about getting some new flooring in the kitchen... seems like the 2 main choices are Vinyl and Lino - i THINK I know the differences between the 2 but they are pretty similar yes?

He also mentioned carpet? is that like proper carpet thats waterproof?? He also mention somehting else which he said was £10/sqm said it was very good quality and durable but i cant remember - think he said something about rubber and gel?? lol sounds interesting...

We need something that is durable but also easy to clean up - we are probably likely to get it muddy rather than dropping food on it....any tips?

Also perhaps the most important thing is it doesnt get your feet cold, the tiles we currently have are crap and very cold - the guy said its ok to put them ontop of the (plastic tiles) we already have..

And he did point out that we have to have all our appliances taken out - i thin kthe washing machine and dishwasher + fridge are easy enough but i am a bit worried about the gas cooker as i didnt put it on.. how many wires am i likely gonna have to take off and is it safe for me to put it back on? will i have to turn the gas off somewhere or will it be ok if the cooker isnt connected (i am guessing its just the electrical plus and a gas pipe)

Cheers

Reply to
mo

Try having a look at

and
for something which may fit the bill. These products are something that look much better in real life than on a computer screen. Be prepared to pay top dollar for the top of the range versions though, as they are industrial quality products.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In article , mo writes

Do not get carpet, even proper kitchen carpet... we had carpet for a while, and if you drop anthing oily or fatty on it, and you will, it's impossible to get clean.

Most gas cookers are connected to the gas with a bayonet coupler which you just push & twist to remove (like a lightbulb), the gas cuts off automatically. You don't need to turn the gas off.

If the cooker is permanently connected you'll need a gas man to do it.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

"mo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I strongly suggest some sort of cushionfloor (lino).

It's not that expensive, easily laid (those fitters are amazing), pleasant to the tootsie.

The real problem is the choice.

mike

(used to be indecisive, now not so sure)

Reply to
mike ring

The message from "mo" contains these words:

He might mean Heuga carpet tiles, laid loose. It is good quality and durable, but you'll soon wish it wasn't. It's disgustingly impossible to keep properly clean in a kitchen, even if you run it under the tap like the manufacturer says. We had it in a kitchen once, never again.

Vinyl is plastic. It won't stand up well to boiling water, burns, and can show wear in a few years. Can be slippy when wet. Cheap, and fine for a short-term solution, like a flat you're leaving in two years.

Lino, short for linoleum, aka Marmoleum ,is made of natural materials (lots of colours) and immensely hardwearing, waterproof and easy to clean and keep looking good for decades; it feels warm underfoot and isn't slippy. More expensive but I recommend it for a longterm floor. You'll find loads of info if you websearch marmoleum.

Both come in either tiles or sheets. Tiles (stuck down)are a straightforward careful DIY job. Sheets of vinyl are thinner and easy to roll so much easier to cut and lay than lino. Lino in sheet form is much thicker, heavier and less flexible, hard to manoevre and better laid by a professional.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..