Asthmatic kitchen fan & filters

We have a cooker hood in the kitchen, small self contained unit which hides behind a false cupboard door and doesn't have much effect. When we came to the house it had both a charcoal filter and a "paper" filter. I quickly decided that as it vented to the outside I could do away with the charcoal filter.

I am now wondering whether the paper filter is strictly necessary.

What does the team think?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

If any frying occurs you need something to catch the fat or oil otherwise it will condense on the run to the outside. Very messy and a potential fire risk. Chip shops and burger places regularly have fires in ducting because of inadequate filter maintenance.

Eg. BAA took the decision to ban deep-fat friers in all its terminal buildings following a major fire caused by the build-up of fat in an extractor fan in a Burger King outlet in T1 in 1997. (Heathrow)

If there is no frying the worst you are likely to get is condensation collecting.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Bah!

I thought it might not be so simple.

Looks like i'm going shopping for paper filters!

Reply to
cpvh

In the States you can get a hood which works on the same centrifugal principle as a Dyson vacuum cleaner and filters everything into a grease trap.

They're made by a company called Ventahood but I don't think there is such a product available in the UK.

Reply to
Jim

not hard to make though

NT

Reply to
NT

not hard to make though

NT

The "Bettawear" catalogue usually has sheets of filter paper that you can cut to suit.

Reply to
John

I found that supermarket "J Cloths" work well enough.

Reply to
Huge