Assorted Screws

Hi All

A few weeks ago I finally got fed up with never being able to find the right size screw. I duly purchased one of those flat organisers with lots of individual plastic boxes inside - about 20 of them. Great! You can take out the box you want, return it after use and closing the lid locks everything in place.

Then I placed an order with Toolstation, a box of each size screw from 4 x

1/2" right through to 8 x 2" more or less. When they arrived I spent a happy half an hour tipping the screws in the boxes & marking each one with a felt pen. Luxury! So organised & tidy!

Two nights ago, I leant a 6' x 1' board up against the workshop wall and picked up another to put on the bench.

Everything then seemed to happen in slow motion! The top of the board slid sideways along the wall and toppled sideways. There on the bench was my screw organiser, lid open.

I watched helplessly as the corner of the board smote the corner of the organiser, somersaulting it gracefully into the air. It hit the floor and scattered the best part of 2000 screws all over the place. Only 8 screws remained in the boxes.

I went to the pub! I've since picked them up & sorted the larger sizes. The smaller one defy sorting - it was easier to buy some more!

Anyone want 1000 mixed screws?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:08:05 GMT, "david lang" scrawled:

No ta, got plenty here from previous escapades of a 'throwing screws around' nature.

Reply to
Lurch

Its also annoying to but a bag of screws - only to find that the bag can't be ripped open tidily and certainly can't be re-sealed. (need an organiser!)

Reply to
john

Sheesh - these days some people just have no stamina ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

| >>Anyone want 1000 mixed screws? | >>

| > No ta, got plenty here from previous escapades of a 'throwing screws | > around' nature. | > -- | > Stuart @ SJW Electrical | >

| > Please Reply to group | | Its also annoying to but a bag of screws - only to find that the bag can't | be ripped open tidily and certainly can't be re-sealed. (need an organiser!)

Use resealable food bags available from most supermarkets.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I have been there - done that. Now I keep them in the orignal boxes in a drawer. I only ever have one box out at a time to make picking them up easier.

I tend to buy screws in 5000's or 10000's from screwfix.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Same thing happened to me with a large box of assorted fuse values - but all the fuses were standard 20mm, so the only way to identify them was by reading each and every value. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You know screwfix will sell you a box like that pre-populated with the screws ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

| I have been there - done that. Now I keep them in the orignal boxes in | a drawer. I only ever have one box out at a time to make picking them | up easier. | | I tend to buy screws in 5000's or 10000's from screwfix.

I used to buy in boxes of 250 ish. Just recycled many hundred slot headed screws when I moved to crossheads.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

| david lang wrote: | | > Then I placed an order with Toolstation, a box of each size screw from 4 x | > 1/2" right through to 8 x 2" more or less. When they arrived I spent a | > happy half an hour tipping the screws in the boxes & marking each one with a | > felt pen. Luxury! So organised & tidy! | | You know screwfix will sell you a box like that pre-populated with the | screws ;-)

As will Lidl at a fraction of the price and no postage. Only when on offer.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Bought a set of 500 chipboard screws in four sizes for 99p the other week! Came complete with storage pots to boot.

Never had a problem with Lidl screws BTW. Seem well made.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

An interesting and enjoyable task for a small child - don't you know one you could borrow for an afternoon?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just stick one in the fuseholder and if it blows you know it's too small, just keep trying until you find one that doesn't blow. :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But be careful if you borrow two. My wife still rankles over the day her father paid his daughters to sort his nails. The older sister got the message first and took the obvious step when being paid by weight of sorted nails ...

.. and my wife (younger sister) still hates panel pins. ;-(

Reply to
John Cartmell

I know John - but I like the DIY aspect!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

As I type, there is a compartment box, and about 1000 (maybe more!) fuses all over the floor in the shed...bugger....

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

When I was a kid I acquired a typesetter's font case - a huge drawer with more little compartments in it than you could shake a serif at. So I tidied up and did the teenage modelmaker's equivalent of sorting the CDs into alphabetical order.

Later I learned the important lesson that the tidier your life is, the more you have to lose from earthquakes (or in this case, errant Irish Setters).

These days my storage must be sealable and survive dropping.

Reply to
dingbat

;-)

Telly in the shed. Few tinnies. Magnifying glass. You'll sleep well tonight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just the excuse I need

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Never tried Lidl, although I prefer Screwfix over Toolstation since they seem a better fit for the Wiha diamond bits.

Reply to
John Rumm