Asbestos thread

I was interested in the recent Asbestos thread, having just been through a similar problem. I had to dismantle and dispose of an Asbestos shed erected by my father in 1960 when I was

13.I wrote to the Environmental Health dept., at the city coucil.They rang me to say that they no longer deal with asbestos disposal and told me that if I disposed it other than in a proper way with special bags etc.,and arrange for transport to a disposal site I could receive a hefty fine.They said that they would send a list of firms licensed but would not be responible in any way. Having checked the archives for this group It seemed that firms had been given a licence to print money almost.

Today I managed to get a firm to bag it up and take it away for £350.It would have been twice that if they had taken it down. I did it myself in the rain last week having bought the mask mentioned in this group, EN149.It was harder than I thought but I did it in the day.The nearest disposal site is Wiltshire and I'm in Gwent.

The link provided in the earlier thread could be of real use to people caught in this "asbestos trap"

Reply to
raymond newman

Did the blokes who took it away just throw it in the back of a van?

Reply to
mogga

No.It was all double wrapped in heavy duty polythene and sealed with tape.I notice that some Local Authorities seem more able to assist than others.I think Birmingham for example have suspended collections. This is probably due to lack of disposal sites.

Reply to
raymond newman

I think that's quite a good price. Over on the Isle of Man, we have been quoted between £5,000 and £9,000 to remove and dispose of less than 50 metres of asbestos soffit.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Have you looked to see if it's all in a pile at the end of the next street? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The point is that the shed only measured

6'x8'and8' at the apex with 4 corrugated sheets either side for the roof.The door and window took up some space.It was in fact asbestos cement which has a low asbestos content.The blue and brown stuff seem to be the problem as this is referred to as white. I need to change my Oxygen cylinder now.
Reply to
raymond newman

Seeing as the ridiculous rules and regulations for asbestos disposal have been forced upon by the government etc, I do feel that local authorities should be under a legal obligation to provide free disposal facilities for householders asbestos cement products. For example, round this area, I believe East Yorks charge (I know someone who had to pay ~£100 to dispose of a garage roof's worth), York City have a collection service for a nominal charge (£20ish ISTR, whether that's per item or per load I don't know), in my own area of N Yorks there's fortunately a free skip at Harrogate, which I think has to serve most if not all of the county. I recently had to get rid of 25 sheets of the stuff, at 8'6" by 2'6" each. £100 of polythene and a hard days graft to wrap it all up. Jeez I could hardly walk for week, aching in places I didn't even know had muscles! Then had to find a mate with a spare time & trailer to take it for disposal.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Well I've just had to do an 'asbestos survey' in my three shops as requested by the local environmental health Dept of the council, to record in two of them the 6mm x 25mm strips of white asbestos in the fuse carriers in the distribution board - label them as ACMs, and develop and implement an action plan to 'manage' them over the coming years, not forgeting to monitor them on an annual basis from now until kingdom come. Fortunately as the premises are 'small' I am 'allowed' to do the survey myself.

A farce instigated by well meaning but out of touch officials and politicians.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ship it to Northern Ireland - no-one cares over there.

Much of the demolished asbestos from Yorkgate was buried under our front garden, pretending to be soil from a nearby road cutting. I imagine brown envelopes and handshakes were done for that.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They do in North Manchester provide a free disposal place for asbestos.

Reply to
mogga

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote | raymond newman writes: | > No.It was all double wrapped in heavy duty | > polythene and sealed with tape. | Have you looked to see if it's all in a pile at the | end of the next street? ;-)

Probably been sent off to China to be turned into fire doors or kids' toys or something.

Owain

Reply to
Owain