Asbestos Floor Tiles

On Christmas day, me, my dad, and my brother-in-law spent some time discussing the brother-in-law's kitchen floor (as you do). The house is late 70's build.
None of us is really sure when the floor tiles were originally laid, but the back of them is a brittle white compound.
What thickness were asbestos floor tiles? And are there any tell-tale signs as to whether these may be asbestos or not?
Cheers
JW

This may help....
I think you can get a test done for around 30. Almost all floor tiles manufactured in the past few decades until the mid 80's contained asbestos.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/asbestos-floor-tiles.html
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:55:26 -0000, SS wrote:

OK - thanks for that. My dad's 1981 kitchen tiles may well be vinyl-asbestos too then. ISTR they have a black backing - which I'd thought was something tar like - though probably not.
Incidentally, for testing, I just found this one: http://www.artisansurveyors.co.uk/shop/category/3/Sampling_Kits?gclid=CNjQrNyJj6YCFVBO4QodryllpQ
22.50 for 5 simultaneous sample tests.
JW
--
Cheers

JW

Ignore that - that's just for the kit with bags, overalls and masks etc. The sample costs are higher: http://www.artisansurveyors.co.uk/services.php?serviceID &&catID&title=Asbestos_Sample_Analysis
--
Cheers

JW

On 28/12/2010 13:46, JW wrote:

http://www.artisansurveyors.co.uk/services.php?serviceID &&catID&title=Asbestos_Sample_Analysis
If you're just needing to get rid of them check to see if your council tip takes asbestos, ours does (South Lakes), providing it's double bagged and handed over to the staff to be put in a dedicated skip. If so then just assume it's asbestos based, bag it up and take it down saving the testing costs.
If you're not getting rid of them then just leave them be, they won't do any harm unless broken up.
--
Mike Clarke

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:53:38 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

Thanks Mike - to be honest, we really just wanted to know if they were asbestos. If they are, then simplest will probably be to just tile or lino over them.
--
Cheers

JW

They are prolly vinyl asbestos - the asbestos was used as a filler. Most common tell tale sign is thaey become very brittle & crack at the edges.
70's build makes it highly likely.
Left alone - no problem.
Dave
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:33:55 -0800 (PST), The Medway Handyman wrote:

Yup - they have - they were the bits we were studying on Boxing Day! :)
--
Cheers

JW

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 08:05:54 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Thanks Harry. I think the B-I-L will be getting a pro to lay new tiles or lino straight over the top. Someone else's problem - then job done! ;-)
--
Cheers

JW