Artex mess around

Trying to match some artex to existing pattern where ceilings have been repaired but failing.

I've checked Artex's site and the few different styles, bought the stipple brush but the stipple effect is far more dense than the original. Tried covering with a polythene bag, using a large brush with/without a bag and changing the consistency of the artex, all to no avail.The original stipple effect is not as dense, is sort of rippled and the stipples are larger are rounded off. The best way to describe it is similar to water leaking off a ceiling.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I had the same problem, the stipple brush seems to make spikes, wheras the original is more like evenly spaced 'half pea' shapes.

I just skimmed the whole lot over to make it smooth!

Is there another type of stipple brush?

Reply to
David P

Dilute the mix.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Glad I'm not the only one!

There doesn't seem to be any other kind of brush that I can locate or that Artex suggest. I did think of skimming over but I've also got coving and it would be a nightmare ripping that all down.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Skim the lot until it is all nice and flat! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I had the same problem and eventually gave up, FWIW

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Probably not a brush at all. Try a plain polyethylene sponge roller instead the sort you see in B&Q that looks like a really open bubble sponge

Reply to
R obbo

Tried that as well, Robbo. Two different rollers, one that was just rough and one with big holes in it. No luck.

Thanks to all for their contributions. I did smooth over in another room where the coving had been removed and I also much prefer a smooth ceiling but as there is coving around these ones and one is the landing ceiling with difficult access, it's not possible. Plan B is to try and go over the existing pattern completely with a roller. I might as well try and contact artex and see what they say as well.

Reply to
daddyfreddy