Are there cheap VHF signal strength meters?

I can find lots of cheap and cheerful UHF (terrestrial) signal strength meters for checking aerial alignment etc. but I can't find any VHF ones (for radio, band II is it, 87.5-108MHz). Are there such things at the sort of under a tenner price the UHF ones are?
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

The GY560 frequency counter works down to 50MHZ. By measuring at a distance you can get a rough signal strength value.

By measuring at a distance from what? I'm after seeing how much signal is coming down from an aerial.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

Have you any attenuators? Resistor network? Alternatively construct an LC aerial to radiate? Just a couple of thoughts.

If you're looking at something for about £10, it will be something like an untuned high-gain wideband RF amplifier (with a bit of bandpass filtering in front), driving a rectifier and a meter (which is essentially what the terrestrial TV and satellite finder meters are).
I don't know of anything, but I suggest that you ask in uk.tech.digital-tv.
--
Ian

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:40:47 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Never used one and not under a tenner, but:
http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/signalfinders.html
Make a "Worldwide VHF/UHF TV Signal Finder" that they claim works from 47-230Mhz.
£21.95 from Amazon:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
John wrote:

I have the UHF only one and it is excellent.
scribeth thus

Ah but they don't make any mention of FM radio just TV and it does look very wideband as they themselves say;
Because of the wide band nature of this signal finder, erroneous readings may occur if used in close proximity of transmitter towers (cell phone, tetra etc) and wireless equipment
If the OP just wants to line up an FM aerial he might be better off getting a second-hand tuner thats got a meter type signal strength meter on it...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Agreed.

Thanks for the various ideas, I think the above is probably the way to go.
--
Chris Green
·