Are kitchewn sink plugs usually standard size?

I needed a plug for the kitchen sink and bought a one and 3 quarter inch plug which fits but it's not a tight fit?

I bought it on ebay is it just a duff reject plug or are there sinks that are slightly larger surely they are all the same size? # The water drains away very very slowly so it is usable but I am puzzled by this?

Reply to
jimmy

The underside of my kitchen sink plug says "McAlpine 1 3/4 inch and a couple of other measurements in mm.

It is metal with a sort of O ring inset into the tapered plug bit to make the seal.

Reply to
Andrew

perhaps the waste hole is metric (45mm)?

Reply to
charles

Several years ago I bought a replacement chrome-plated plug for the bath. Unless placed very carefully, it doesn't fit. Even then, it's raised a few mm above the hole. When I asked my plumber about this, he said that manufacturers all had their own sizes which could be a fraction of a mm different in diameter, so making a perfect fit more luck than judgement.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

That's only kind that will seal my kitchen sink drain outlet.

I've had the same experience as the OP with a variety of rubber/plastic plugs. I think it may not be the diameter but the depth of the mating half. The metal plugs with an O ring are very shallow whilst the deeper rubber plugs are tapered and bottom out on the strainer before sealing the hole.

Reply to
alan_m

Jeff Layman wrote on 27/01/2022 :

I had that with the bath plug, I simply ground some height of the bottom of the plug to let it seat down deeper.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Well baths are not standard so why would sinks be any different? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa