Arches with a laser level

Hi
It occurred to me one could use a laser level to project arch shapes. Sit the level lower than the wanted arch, set to horizontal line, and tilt it upwards. You now get a perfect arch shape on the wall.
Anyone done this? And would it be any use? The destructions dont mention anything about it.
NT
On 26 Dec 2005 23:00:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Yes, in response to your question.

No.
Probably because you don't get a curve. the line is always a line. I thought it would be before I did the test.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

My first thoughts were that you *would* get an arch, but it would be inverted.
But Dave is right - the mark on the wall will be the intersection between the (hopefully) vertical plane of the wall and the inclined plane of the laser beam - which will be a straight line.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

The following technique might be useful however:
1) Make a scale model your arch. 2) Site your laser level. 3) Mount your arch*. 4) Shine your laser level so the on the wall is half obscured by the model, and have someone mark it. 5) Repeat 4 for the perimeter of the wall.
* The model needs to be parallel to the wall; have its top on the line between the desired top of the arch and the point of rotation of the LL; have the ratios of the distance from the wall to it, and from it to the LL in the ratio of the sizes of the arch and it.
Set Square wrote:

Youre quite right of course. I must have hit something curved when playing with it I spose, without realising.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Gt a computer projector and project the CAD on the wall
Owain
Owain wrote:

Or move to a lighthouse?