Is this right or total tosh???

My sister has just had central heating put in her (council) house. She has a very odd shaped kichen and and enquired whereabouts the kitchen radiator would be. The 'fitter' said she couldn't have a radiator in there as legislation says all "newly fitted" radiators (not replacements) must be hung on an outside wall! So he put one of those fan heater/air conditioning units above the outside door. Is this right or total bo****cks as I have never heard this!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Big dangling ones.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmmm! if thats the case then all new and old rads must fall into that criteria. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mine must all be wrong then. I would have that looked into my friend.

Regards

Micky Leeds

Reply to
Sandy Savage

I expect rule means - OK to fix rad on the inside face of an external periphery wall, but do not fix rad on any face of an internal partition wall!

Reply to
Jim Gregory

conditioning

The "fitter" is completely wrong If you read all the advice on central heating from official documents you will find that you are advised to have radiators not under windows but positioned on inside walls including partition walls. I have built a new house which has followed these rules and I am very satisfied with the results I suggest your sister should write officially to the Council complaining about this. Blair

Reply to
Blair

Total bollocks. The council may have their own regs on rad siting. There is no legal reg for that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I had always thought that fitting a radiator on an opposite wall to a window increased the draft in a room, as the cold air fell off the window and was helped upwards by the radiator opposite, so it was a "good" thing to place it under a window - although that seems a little odd as well as the warm air is then trying to warm a cold window and some goes straight out through the glass....

Paging Ed Sirett ........

Reply to
Nick

At one time the thinking or lack of it was that placing a rad under a window allowed the draught from the window to circulate the heat into the room.

For years ever since, curtaining and open windows have cost the householder hundreds of pounds in wasted heat.

Just having an heater on an outside wall is inviting direct heat loss from the back of the rad to the outside wall without placing it under a thin, leaking glass panel. Easy to see why the fitter was working for the council. No one else would have him.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You have it right. The wall stat could be set right, but you may have cold feet.

Yep. You loose something for comfort.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hmmm..I read somewhere that having a radiator under the window improves matters as it creates an 'air curtain' of convected air in front of the window.

Place the curtains behind the rad when closed.

Place reflector foil behind the rad.

Regardless of where the rad is in the room you are going to lose heat through the outside wall.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

I think the bottom line for the OP is that the council are paying the piper so they're calling the tune. They get to choose who fits what and where they fit it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

And don't forget, sometimes the fitter puts it where it is less agro for him.

ken

Reply to
Ken

That is very true..as the council are paying I don't see that the OPs sister has much say in how the rads are fitted.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Except that the fitter said it was 'against the law', which is a bit naughty, and grounds for complaint.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yep! who knows I mean a few of rads gets a lot of money if no one is non the wiser. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What part of the word "direct" do you have the most trouble with?

If the room is being heated the laws of thermodynamics indicate it will also be losing heat. However if the radiator is situated on an internal wall the heat loss will occur after it has radiated, conducted and convected it through the building's internals.

So when a radiator is fitted to an outside wall under a window it will lose no less heat than if placed elsewhere?

Just how dense is the wall? What difference might that make? And are you called Sponix because the thing you use for a brain belongs in your bathroom?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: [...]

...and again - but in English this time... ???

WTF does he mean?

???

Reply to
Dave

N radiators specified by the council jobsworth.

N-1 fitted by fitter with punter given bullshit story.

1 radiator available for "other purposes".
Reply to
Andy Hall

Ta, was th ...too much Christmas spirit last night (for me that is!)

Reply to
Dave