Anyone recommend a compound mitre circular saw?

Morning folks,

I have recently discovered that the £26.99 mitre saw I purchased for B&Q isn't much use for anything wider than 7cm, which I would have found out if I had read the box more carefully.

I now need one for coving, cornice, pelmets and skirting, so it needs to cut up to about 13cm.

I'd rather spend less than £100 if possible. B&Q (Performance Power Pro) have the "Slide Comp Mitre Saw Laserline (1200W) 210mm" at £129 and the "Slide Comp Mitre Saw (900W) 190mm" for £99.98 (see

and
for details).

As far as I can see, the extra £29 gets you:

- More powerful motor

- Bigger disc

- Adjustable depth of cut

- Side support bars but they both have adequate cutting potential.

Is it really worth the extra £29 for these features? Can anyone recommend a different option?

Thanks in advance, Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

It`s not really the full answer but I modified the blade guard on my similar cheapo mitre saw so that it`s able to cut a few exta cms.( but not as much as

13cm)

A previous answer to a similar question said that the cheapo sliding saw versions( eg B&Q ) worked up to around 285/300mm ( 1 foot) but the sliding action wasn`t very good.( rather stiffish)

HTH

Chas

Reply to
Restoredclassic

That was probably me, as I've got one. I'm not sure if they still sell it as the latest ones seem to have two sliding bars and move more easily - although I've not seen one of the same size. Not been looking, though.

So saying, the sliding action is of limited use for many things - you can just use it as a pre-set and do two cuts. And other than that I'm pretty happy with it. Set it accurately, and it seems to cut exactly the same each time, which is more than can be said for some of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman