Anyone recomend where to buy a complete set for tiling.

I will be doing my first tiling next week.

Need to get everything to get me going. I've got my old DIY manuals that explain what I need, eg. Float etc. But rather than adding each item to my basket from screwfix. Is anyone away of a set that might be better value from somewhere else ?

Reply to
andysideas

All you need is a notched Trowel and a float or spreader (depending on what size of area you are doing), I don't think it's worth buying any tile cutters just for one job, you'd better off hiring a manual and a wet one (essential) for the weekend or buying a cheap wet one (about £30) and sell it on after use.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Depends on the tiles. I bought a £10 tile cutter, and it's done two ceramic floors and one bathroom wall. You certainly don't need anything more substantial for the wall tiles. For the floor tiles, it was fine for scoring them, but not strong enough to snap them. For that, I gripped them in the jaws of the B&D Workmate, and thumped them with a fist. Both schemes had very few failures. For more intricate cutouts, I used an angle grider for the floor tiles, but this was still quite difficult. I used a tile cutting jigsaw bit for the wall tiles (with the jigsaw clamped upside down in the B&D workmate, making a sort of table jigsaw;-).

Get plenty of spare tiles. Some places will happily do a sale or return basis, but don't assume you will be able to go back later and buy any more matching tiles. Both types I used seemed to cease to exist within a month, but fortunately I have plenty left over.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just how lazy are you?? I count 5 items, that's all.

Reply to
Grunff

And in any case, you should always buy tiles with the same batch number as the colour shade may vary a bit across batches. (And always check every box you buy, as there's no guarantee that Andrew hasn't been in yesterday returning a box from an old batch number, bought a few months ago) :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

You need a trowel (as you're _carrying_ adhesive on it, isn't this a trowel rather than a float?). This should have notches appropriate to the tile size - either wall or floor.

Then another trowel, which can be the nasty plastic freebie one - but you need something tiny as well, just for that awkward corner under the bath.

A "tile file" in both carbide file-shape and coated mesh (Plasplugs cheapies)

Rubber squeegee for grouting.

A rubber tiler's sponge for grouting. This is _so_ much better to use than an open-cell foam sponge.

Chalkline, levels, chinagraph pencil, OHP marking pen etc.

To cut tiles, get the _cheap_ Plasplugs electric wet tile saw. The cheaper one seems to last longer than the expensive one. Either is better than the all-metal Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand ones. If it's more than a splashback with no cuts, then this really is worth having as it's so much quicker and avoids waste tiles.

Then my favourite tool purchase this year, Screwfix's 50 quid laser level (cross projector, not the whirling spot). This makes tiling _so_ much quicker and more fun. I love this gadget!

If it's a little job, buy some decent ready-mix tile adhesive. Don't buy combined "fix and grout", don't buy cheap stuff (it's nasty to use and doesn't have much "stiction"). But ASAP, start mixing your own adhesive from dry powder - it's so much cheaper.

Couple of plastic buckets, including one old tile adhesive bucket (low and wide) for mixing in.

Pack of foam pan scourers for general clean up. Adequate supply of clean rags and vinyl gloves. Pair of tiling slippers (any cheap market-stall espadrilles) - won't scratch the bath if you stand in it, take them off before tracking plaster dust outside the bathroom. Masking tape and dust sheets for dirt control before starting. Old carpet for the bottom of the bath (put the plug in too). Vaseline for the gold plate taps, to stop tile adhesive drips from sticking.

Nutrogena hand cream and barrier cream. Tile adhesive is hard on skin.

What else have I forgotten?

Reply to
dingbat

LOL

Transistor radio, flask of tea, cuddly toy...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Where do you get these, I had one that was given to me by somebody but it is now 'cattled' and I cannot seem to find a good one anywhere. My tile shop(s) keep recommending "Hydro sponges", but they don't look the same. Cheers

John

P.S. you forgot to mention a box of plasters for the dreaded 'Grout Finger' from getting the grout right into the wall/ceiling intersection!

Reply to
John

I'd *seriously* recommend a newbie to tiling to buy a wet diamond circular saw cutter. They are very cheap these days and need little skill to use. And are far safer than an angle grinder. And if cutting expensive tiles have a near nil failure rate - unlike score and snap types, especially when cutting very small bits. Sure, they're slow, but for a newbie this is no bad thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Axminster, couple of quid

that's a couple of quid for a mere sponge. it's worth it.

Whilst there I noticed this

cross laser is now on offer at 30 quid !

You need this! It's a fantastic gadget for tiling. Buy several!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'll definitely second that - my £30 PlasPlugs cutter counts as just about the best value tool I've ever bought. It's done a bathroom, shower room, downstairs loo, kitchen, and several porcelain floors, and is still going strong.

Reply to
Grunff

Thank you all for the very useful replies

Grunff is not that I'm lazy, more just looking for a good set. For example my local DIY store as well a POUNDLAND have most of the tools that I need. But I really looking for a fair price set that means I don't need to worry about making the decision.

I found a website selling a set for something like =A3700 but it included adhesive etc

Reply to
andysideas

Wicks do a rubber "finger" on a stick... Ideal for preserving the digit when going for the nice concave grout finish!

Reply to
John Rumm