Anyone hooked up a new style TV to a LAN?

FWIW The Pi can output 1080p.

That would be more tricky.

Probably the best way, albeit more expensive. It's strange a large monitor is the same price as a TV since it carrys less tax.

Reply to
Mark

its 1920 x 1080 innit?

Not really if the latest Linux kernel is used..pretty good support for normal DTV by USB dongle..not so sure about HDTV - precious few dingles there.

Yerrss. TBH a TV is less cost than an equivalent monitor and generally has a better viewing angle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not. Our SONY play's off a Mem stick and cards shoved in the right sockets, quite impressive if you need to bore anyone with the holiday pix. It does play off a streaming VLC server and a number of other online services both audio and visual.

If I were faced with the same problem its one thing I wouldn't do and thats make up a TV from a 'puter screen!.

We also had at the same time a SONY Blu ray CD player and the definition on that is excellent, and that also is Ethernet connected you can do much the same thighs thru that as the TV.

We also have a Dreambox satellite receiver for her indoors for French and German TV thats got an inbuilt 1 TB hard drive and very easy that is to use too as a TV recorder also Ethernet connected...

She also has a SAT receiver in her TV to record furrign TV progs. Can replay that thru the PC or over the LAN to the main TV..

No problems at all playing most anything..

What we do do is to sit down, watch the TV, and forget about the Tech involved:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Had a Freeview HD Panny TX-L32S20B for about 2 years now. Bought a 'named' brand on the ground that it would be supported (as the Freeview HD branding implied) for iPlayer and other networked services.

It helps itself to an IP address but does nothing else. No firmware updates, the new IP delivered channels return 'not supported'. Also the media player from SD card uses only an un-reproducable undocumented AVCHD structure and was never usable.

So, very much down to the manufacturer commitment (in this case none), YMMV :-(

Nice IPS display panel though.

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

Yep.

I don't know what the power requirements of such a "dongle" would be. They might work off a powered up (or not).

I guess viewing angles for monitors is not so important. However they all use the same kinds of tech. Maybe TVs are usually IPS and monitors TN, but then the monitors should be cheaper.

Reply to
Mark

Yes. Bad enough typing anything.

Reply to
Tim Streater
[snip]

Would it really hurt to type "Panasonic"?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I suspect the 'smart TV' is in the same genre as the TV with integrated VHS... nice at the time, but how much use does the VHS get nowadays? YouTube, iPlayer, etc change formats every five minutes so it's even worse - and the manufacturers seem to think 5 years is a sufficient lifespan. So get used to having a separate box (which can do decode and PVR and all the rest)

- much easier to replace or upgrade the box than having to ditch the whole thing. Just get a telly/monitor with lots of HDMI inputs - it's just a display device after all.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

well the one here feels like about 250mW.

Market not as big and less price sensitive I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WDTVLive is smaller than a paperback and costs

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon