Anyone got experience of online estate agents?

It is possible to negotiate a deal with an estate agent.

When we sold my mums home, it was '2% up to £475k plus 10% of anything over that'

Gave them a huge incentive to bargain for the best possible price instead of going for a quick deal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not having a practical alternative tends to focus the mind.

Quite often its dwarfed by the other costs of moving anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Would you want a company you are dealing with to tell strangers details of your financial transactions and offers?

They are allowed to tell a prospective buyer that there are already higher offers under consideration - that's all they need to know really.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. Also how "difficult" the chain you end up in is.

They will also properly qualify the offers - make sure the buyer has finance in place etc and is not just blowing smoke.

But, yup in some cases a place will have a very fixed price regardless of its actual condition - just because of its circumstances. So you could probably hand write a for sale board, and stick it outside and it would sell.

(was that a typo for "shabby", or just a reflection on the quality of the local youth?)

Reply to
John Rumm

Did you think of 0% up to £475k and 50% above that figure?

Reply to
GB

Yes, buy the agents said 'no' and we did need the agents.

I was 90 miles way, and my sisters were 1000, and 1500 miles away respectively.

Someone had to let the punters in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's why I left...

Either the stabbings or the drunken throwing of other pissheads through shop windows.

There was a murder practically opposite me too (stabbing). Came home, place covered in police tape.

This was near the station.

If you want to have a near cast iron guarantee of getting your head kicked in or robbed, live up the north end (Rosehill et al) - that really is an utter shithole.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't think of another cost that great associated with moving.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm referring to if I want to buy your house, them refusing to tell me if I've made an offer high enough.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 07:08:52 -0000, Tim Watts wro= te:

Who the hell pays that for a FLAT?!

-- =

I was doing some remolishments to my house the other day and accidentall= y defurbished it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

SDLT can be much more, depending on property value.

Reply to
GB

Wasn't that removed decades ago?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Quite right. Very hard to find flats as cheap as that in London.

Reply to
GB

I'll just add that I think the prices are bonkers, and it makes life enormously difficult for younger people, trying to buy somewhere to live. It's all built on enormous borrowing, with the risk it could unravel.

What's the outlook for house prices? Well, we are due some inflation due to Brexit, so prices should go up on that score. OTOH, the higher inflation may entail higher interest rates, which would put downward pressure on prices. No idea which way it will go.

Reply to
GB

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 15:32:58 -0000, GB wrote:=

What a stupid place to live.

-- =

You can get by on good looks and charm for about fifteen minutes. After that, you'd better have a big dick or nice t*ts.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 15:32:58 -0000, GB wrote:=

Why on earth would you want to live in a building shared with others unl= ess you're really poor?

-- =

I once got the stuffing beat out of me fighting for a girl's honour. She wanted to keep it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It doesnt buy much out here either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Half the SouthEast.

Where have you been living?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Because, sometimes, other people are not like *you*

Reply to
Tim Watts

To get a mortgage on a =A3200K flat, you'd need to be earning about =A37=

0K a year, are you all bank managers?

-- =

At Sunday school the teacher asked little Johnny, "Do you know where lit= tle boys and girls go when they do bad things?" "Sure," little Johnny replied. "They go out in the back of the church y= ard."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword