Anyone else hear the bang at 21:50 today?

Seems it is suggested to have been sonic boom from scambled Typhoons.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tim Streater

No - didn't hear it.

Reports of a sonic boom been heard over Doncaster and Leeds are filtering through over social media following a QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) Typhoon scramble.

RAF Conningsbury has confirmed that QRA Typhoons were scrambled this evening, possibly down to an aircraft?s Mode-S Transponder been turned off which could indicate a hijack.

It is normal for Quick Reaction Alert Typhoons to be given Authority to break the sound barrier over land when scrambled & to be heard!!!

? RAF Coningsby Info (@EGXCinfo) 2 May 2016

Many local residents reported that their house had literally been shook by the noise of the Typhoon breaking the speed of sound.

Early reports indicate that Air France flight AF1558 from Paris to Newcastle could have been the reason for the typhoons being deployed.

UPDATE CityJet #AF1558 declared an emergency, now on final approach to Newcastle. Live: https://t.co/Ujl9thvCIj pic.twitter.com/lbE1Eve5mi

? AIRLIVE (@airlivenet) 18 February 2016

Reply to
polygonum

No, it was Leicester fans shouting when Chelsea equalised, then the ref blew the final whistle.

Reply to
A.Lee

Seems to have landed OK.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Certainly didn't hear it in Suffolk. Typhoons and Tornadoes (and Raptors) live very close to here.

Reply to
Davey

Or ARW either driving home or bawling out an apprentice.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

polygonum

Tim Streater a écrit :

To the east of Leeds - on the border of West and North Yorkshire. There were reports of buildings being shaken, windows rattling and one of glass being shattered.

Here I was in the kitchen near the boiler, the door of our boiler cupboard rattled, the noise seemed to come from our boiler, so I thought our boiler had exploded lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Where was this? Maybe it was a local wind turbine spinning so fast the tip of the blade broke the sound barrier? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Back in the 60s you could regularly hear sonic booms on Bognor beach from experiments being undertaken by aircraft out of Farnborough performing supersonic flights just off the coast. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Now you are taking the piss.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just disappointed it was in the dark and, seeing as this year's display has just been cleared as fit for human consumption, they didn't put one on on their way back.

And in Bristol in the early 70's we regularly heard the double boom from the early evening out-going Concorde as it opened up over the Bristol Channel.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks. The OP gave no hint. It was on the News today, with explanation.

Reply to
Davey

East Leeds and Garforth.

Reply to
BobH

we used to hear that in London :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Total silence in Barnsley. Not even my CCTV picked it up.

Now Donny got it as did Normanton.

Reply to
ARW

In North Leeds it sounded like those big fireworks that are sent up via a mortar - but a lot louder. I thought it must have been a gas explosion about half a mile away.

Reply to
Murmansk