Any keen gardeners around?

Prune the overhanging branches?

Reply to
Jimk

TPO ?

Reply to
Jimk

Our rather large lawn is partially under large trees (over the fence unfortunately) and therefore tends to have a lot of moss growing over the winter. Also the soil there is not of very good quality.

We tend to use one of these a couple of times a year (spring and late summer)

which, by the end of the summer, seems to get rid of most of the moss and makes the grass look much healthier.

A friend suggested going for the more commercial product instead which costs only a fraction of the price. Something like this one:

Are they effectively the same thing? There are plenty of other similar looking products on their website and I am not sure which one to choose (I prefer something sprayable)

I want something that will both kill the moss and fertilise the grass.

Many thanks.

Reply to
JoeJoe

The Evergreen 4-in-1 will kill the moss and weeds and also fertilise the lawn. Sulphate of iron will just kill the moss. The 4-in-1 is probably granular and may come in a box fitted with a spout for scattering it over the lawn by hand. The sulphate of iron will need to be watered on, preferably from a plastic watering can. It will stain your hands so wear gloves when handling it.

You get moss where the soil tends to stay moist because of poor drainage and shade. You can't do much about the latter, but if you spike the lawn all over with a garden fork and then brush in some sand or coarse compost to fill the holes, that will help improve the drainage and the soil won't be so damp.

Chris Hogg

No. 4 in one also has weedkillers in it

There are plenty of other similar

if weeds are not an issue this one should be fine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I try to buy my spring weed and feed when they are giving everything away in September to make room for Dracula's cave/Santa's Grotto.

This year promises to be very good for unsold spring use products...

If there are only a few weeds or you like your wild flower collection in the lawn then spot weeding with Verdone is more cost effective anyway.

+1

But you do have to dilute it and use it right. Cutting it 50:50 with ammonium sulphate makes it go further and adds the fertiliser component.

Be aware that any spills will stain paths with orange rusty marks.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If the lawn is watered by a sprinkler some bits do tend to get moss where the water puddles here. By far the worst though is the concrete. Moss as soon as you go away for a couple of weeks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some overhang, 10m above ground...

Reply to
JoeJoe

Great tip - thanks!

Will give it a go.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Complain to the owner (council/highway authority?) and get them to do something about it. No reason for you to be inconvenienced by their trees.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Late June/July is ther best time to get seed and garden stuff going cheap in the supermarkets,

Add some garden lime to the affected area too. Moss hates it and grass thrives on it.

Reply to
Andrew

Council land. Have tried for the last 10+ years. They are not interested...

Reply to
JoeJoe

you are quite entitled to cut off branches that overhang your property. But, you must offer them the branches.

Reply to
charles

Around 10m above ground. The main problem is that the trees block the sun.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Not if there is a TPO on it. There are exceptions

but even then you have to be careful. Thee aren't too many pieces of legislation with unlimited fines!

Reply to
Jeff Layman