Any idea where I might be able to obtain screws like this?

Thanks Michael, these are measuring between 5.82 and 5.85 which may explain the slackness. Next week I'll nip in to Don's again and bend his ear further. Hacksawing & filing I can manage. I think hack is the operative word here. I suppose I could make up a little jig and do the head profiling with a bench grinder and/or belt sander. NOT angle grinder.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks Tim, I read that rebuild story a few days ago. Nice job and obviously a very capable chap. My machine has a similar ridged infeed roller which can, and does, leave marks on timber. The serial no. of mine is 14017, presumably a somewhat more aged machine than yours. Do you happen to know the dims of the V belt? This is still on the original and no doubt it will fail at some stage. I don't have a parts list, which likely wouldn't help anyway Good and well built machines. I just hope that I am able to get this working to my satisfaction again. I've tracked down a chap called Lee who used to work for Startrite in Kent. Supposedly he can supply parts for older Startrite machines. If of any interest google for a.l.t. saws and spares. Unfortunately he is away at the moment.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

In message , Nick writes

The only fault I have is that the feed in O rings are aged and regularly drop off. Fortunately the remainder congregate where they are needed so not yet a serious issue.

V belt suppliers usually have a measuring system to identify a belt if you take yours as a sample. My drive is single phase if that makes any difference. I can look for any legible identification next time I am in the workshop but don't hold much hope.

Probably the same chap I got from Dom? some years back. snipped-for-privacy@altengineering.fsnet.co.uk

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks again Bob, a search for such has led me to NSSS (non standard socket screw) who have some representation quite close to me. Have emailed and will follow through.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks again Tim,

I imagine that changing the O rings would be an ache. Though it might be worth investigating before it going mammarily vertical. When poss. I'll get to the drive side of mine and see if I can get any identification off the belt. Easier done with a complete, rather than busted, one.

Different firm I think:

Who is Dom?

All the best, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Try 1/4" BSF. 26tpi, so quite close to the 25.4 of the M6 you've tried, and a gnat's bigger diameter.

Reply to
Kevin

In message , Nick writes

Right! Clearly visible OPTIBELT SUPER TX SPZ 1012 LW Made in Germany.

Bear in mind mine is the two cutter version and single phase.

Rebuilding a Chapel in North Norfolk. Not seen here for a while.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Very kind of you to take the time and trouble, many thanks Tim. Mine is also single phase. I can't imagine that it would use a different driver belt. However will pull it out and check before purchasing. Thanks again, Nick.

Reply to
Nick