Any idea how to cut an ostrich egg in half?

Ah, I see.

Well of course I do - ad lib - only the best grain (organic, GM free etc.) They also have scraps from our table (if it's good enough for us ... ) and worms, woodlice, insects, spiders and the rest which they find themselves and, if they get in the greenhouse, strawberries and, if they get in the veg plots, whatever they like. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Also the small chalky chippings from flints (makes super shells) and all sorts of things my poor old eyes can't see.

I leave that to be fed to the poor things in cages which produce the crippled chickens and pale eggs sold as the finest by the supermarkets.

Not that there's anything wrong with sheeps heads, we eat them from time to time. It's illegal to feed meat to chickens which give meat or eggs for human food. I wouldn't feed ours meat ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The type of saw I'm thinking of is a "ring saw", a bandsaw with a rigid circular band of diamond-plated metal. They're slower in rpm than a disk tile saw, but I think the linear speed is similar as the band is so much bigger.

Both of them, being water-cooled diamond saws, are much slower than an air-cooled Dremel disk.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The egg, I'm using an Emu egg, is thicker and stronger than you think. An Ostrich egg is probably stronger (think of what's inside and has to be contained). I've used a VERY fine tooth saw or a Dremel Cutting tool on LOW speed. The egg MUST be Secured to avoid uneven cut. I'm making Faberge Egg replicas for Christmas presents this year using EMU Eggs.

Reply to
susanb1222

Yes I was thinking that. I'm not sure where you would get either egg these days anyway. You might need to shell out a lot for an Eggcelent cutting tool nowadays. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The eggs are available, because there are small hobby farms keeping exotic birds.

"McIntosh sold 100 eggs two years ago and 60 last year.

He cautions buyers that opening the thicker shell requires a drill or a hammer.

He also sells steaks, pepperettes and lean ground meat that tastes like beef."

"In the early to mid 1990s, over 300 Ontario farmers switched production from conventional livestock into ratites, a category that includes emus, ostriches, and rhea."

And the market bubble is why there aren't a lot today.

I'm surprised there's no description of "drumsticks". Think how large a drumstick would be. Yum!

*******

It would be easier, to just print an egg-shaped item on a 3D printer, use a filament which is paint-able with acrylic paint, and make the Faberge egg that way.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Were 3D printers commonly available 15 years ago when the question was asked?

Reply to
John Rumm

And it's not in the spirit of Faberge eggs anyway :-)

I did like the comment about "a drill or a hammer" though. That's one tough egg. The bird inside must have a diamond beak, to get out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Some birds, at least, have special tooth. And of course it is easier from the inside.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Ostrich eggs are £25 in Waitrose. I suppose people must buy them...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The strenght of the shell is much less inside to out.

Reply to
charles

It was a J O K E

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It used a Bill ders drill. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes we will sell for a good price on the black market cos all we see is black. Actually that is not the case but it was just too tempting.

Public flogged, How do you know we might not enjoy it? It takes all sorts. At least I did not suggest you sawed the whole Ostrich in half then the egg would be softer and you could eat well for a few days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

One of the Scottish farms followed on "This Farming Life" on BBC2 tried rearing Emu's ? for meat, but gave up because it cost more than the potential returns. Also tricky to incubate them successfully.

Reply to
Andrew

I've been cutting Ostrich & Emu Eggshells. Tried Everything. First pencil where you want cut. Use a COPING saw to gently make a shallow cut in egg all around. Then, go around again, going deeper with each round until egg is cut in half. Will be a little rough, Put med. grit sandpaper flat and rub shell half over it 'til smooth. Trim will cover -up flaws.

Reply to
susanb

Use a guillotine.

Reply to