Any boy scouts about? - Lashing

Having had an enormous garden de-foliaging exercise, we have 2 trees that are rather fun for kids - trunks split off into various directions including horizontal-ish - great for climbing. Also great for hanging a swing off either.

I also have some very smooth barked 3" trunk from a 10 year old ash - and it occurs to me that 2-3 logs cut from this could make a most excellent (and rustic) swing seat (or two - one for each sprog).

I'd considered just bolting through 2-3 logs mounted in parallel, but for extra "rusticisim", rope lashing could be a fun idea.

Had a look and I've come across shear lashing, round lashing and (for 3 logs) tripod lashing (done at both ends obviously).

Which one would be a good method of holding the logs like this (end on):

OOO

The actual swing rope would be attached via 4 holes in the corner of the seat like this:

| | | / \ OOO

I'd probably use natural rope for its better friction characteristics (knots not sliding undone).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Dunno about any fink else, but just bought some stuff from

as chips & really know their stuff. Good free advice too.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmmm, I keep hearing about this 'hung parliament' idea. Could this company supply the necessary?

Reply to
Adrian C

They certainly have enough rope to DIY

Reply to
geoff

Tim Watts :

Would you be lashing the three logs to two lighter ones at right angles, to keep them in one plane ()? If so, a square lashing is what you want, though you might find it hard to get the three logs acceptably close to each other.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes wibbled on Tuesday 13 April 2010 07:35

That's a good idea - I have thinner ash (from the branches).

Touching isn't absolutely necessary - in fact having a gap would probably help, allowing detritus and rain to fall through rather than getting trapped.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Monday 12 April 2010 23:53

Looks most interesting - ta. I could use bungee rope for the drops and add a new dimension to swinging!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I would worry about it rotting much quicker than you might expect. Look at a "staple spun" cable laid polyester or polypropylene. Even then expect deterioration in sunlight.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Tim Watts wibbled on Monday 12 April 2010 23:48

Hi,

It's done, except for some tidying up:

diamond lashing of the ash sticks for the seat came out rough as hell, but surprisingly functional. The "mistake" was to use waxed cotton clothes line. It smoothish, binds to itself well (despite wax) but is very stiff - I think that affected my ability to get much neatness there - plus lashing two sticks that are trying to run away is actually quite hard, especially when the out two sticks must incorporate the support rope. I should trim the free ends!

The ash sticks are about 30mm dia and 3 across make for a surprisingly comfortable seat.

I was rather pleased though with the eye splice in the main rope. Did it from here:

need to take of the earth tape and trim the strands back properly.

A simple clove hitch over the branch worked very well and I've left 1/2m spare rope to allow for re-siting or adjusting.

Interesting issue - the swing does some interesting motions due to unequal rope lengths - not sure what I could do about that.

Anyway, neatless, or lack of aside, it takes my lardy fat ass quite happy (ash is *very* tough) and the kids love it, despite the wibbly motion ;->

Apart from 2 d-shackles to make removing the seat easy, not a nail or screw or any metalwork there. Surprising that even with my numpty boy scout skills, rope lashing is extremely effective.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts