Antifreeze in the Oil filler!..

Yes. The obvious one is to compare old and new Mini side by side. The new one looks and is enormous. Yet has little more interior space. All down to crash regulations, I suppose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And some engines use particular materials or surface processes that make rebores and regrinds effectively impossible (even if you could get the appropriately sized bearings and pistons)

Reply to
Matt

What? Nikasil? When was that invented, WWII? The '60s?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Think I first heard of it in the early '70s on a motorbike engine.

Incidentally, I've got a Nikasil block BMW. It's fine. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Diesel _oil_ (a detergent oil) surely, not DERV !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No - I mean DERV. Never tried it myself, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, definitely DERV. Usually half drain the old oil, top up with diesel. run for a short period at normal load. Drain, fill to normal level with pure diesel restart and idle for an extended period. Drain and fill with oil. I'm not totally sure on why the two stage process would be needed but that's the way I've seen it done.

Reply to
Matt

Do be careful with flushing oil, especially in high mileage engines with infrequent oil changes. There's a lot of baked on crud in the oilways on older engines, and flushing oil (or diesel lubricating oil for that matter) has a higher proportion of solvents that can dislodge these deposits.

Just a warning.

Personally, i've never used a flushing oil and my engines have lasted to near on 200K miles in some cases ...

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Plated bores. Some engines use plated bores.

I always prefreed drop in steel liners in an al block...

Most Al. engines use those IIRC and I am not sure they are rebore-able either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Series 1 Landrover ones had chromed bores - to start with. The manuals state that when reboring the first cut must be deep enough to remove this.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

That's what Nikasil is.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is it plating or a chemical treatment?

The Rover V-8 ones are - but they're dry rather than wet liners.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)