Central Heating desireables

Some features I would like to see in a heating instalation. Any comments?
1. A transparent settling chamber where debris would be trapped for removal without draining the system.
2. A device to indicate the flow rate around the system.
3. A proper drainage valve with a pipe leading outside (to prevent carpet stains).
4. A port to enable the introduction of additives.
5. A means of the boiler determining the optimum water temperature for the thermal losses.
6. Some form of ultrasonic cleaning system to remove sedement and sludge.

john wrote:

There are plenty of in-line flow meters available - have a look on the RS web site, for example.

Weather compensator - also readily available, often as part of more comprehensive controls such as the Danfoss boiler energy managers.
--
Andy

john wrote:

combine those 2 and you'd just open the drain tap and the sludge comes out. But you shouldnt be getting sludged up in the first place.

why?
a header tank?

outdoor stat, but it all costs money. Alternatively it can learn from demand pattern, but nothings free.

very expensive way of solving an almost non-issue. And introducing further issues.

judging by current usage, more than 2000 years.
NT
| Some features I would like to see in a heating instalation. Any comments? | | 1. A transparent settling chamber where debris would be trapped for removal | without draining the system. | | 2. A device to indicate the flow rate around the system. | | 3. A proper drainage valve with a pipe leading outside (to prevent carpet | stains). | | 4. A port to enable the introduction of additives. | | 5. A means of the boiler determining the optimum water temperature for the | thermal losses. | | 6. Some form of ultrasonic cleaning system to remove sedement and sludge.
This will never happen to your average heating system, because your average user would not know how to use them and would not want them, because the system already costs a bomb and any additional cost in bells and whistles is, to them, best avoided.
Thanks for the thread, as I am redoing my system ATM it give ideas for additions. 1. a filter, with two stop valves is planned, 3 I have already got in the underdrawing, 4. is planned. 5 and 6 I will have think about,
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:30:52 +0000, john wrote:

1. The Magnaclean unit comes part the way there. Any debris with about the same density as water won't settle. With a pair of isolators (might be included already) you would be able to clean it out whenever. Start clean and stay clean is my feeling and ditch the gimicks.
2. This would be a useful diagnostic tool but there are ways around it, sometime as you operate a valve you can hear the effects. Once everything is up and running right it would be a bit of a '9-day wonder'. Were you thinking of something that would tell you a) Flow direction or b) Rate of Flow aswell. and why?
3. Standard best practice, if on both flow and return and over a gully.
4. The easiest is a ladder type towel rail. Many rads have 1/2" BSP plugs.
5. Keep moving the boiler thermostat down a bit until the boiler 'simmers' for long periods and the house is warm enough. The next generation of boilers - perhaps using proportional control rather than simple on/off - together with external temperature sensing might address this.
6. You can get a rubber pad that goes in the end of your SDS drill on hammer only setting to give the rads a good rattle; to help dislodge the sludge when flushing.

You could probably use the leather pad on the end of your foot, if the customer isn't watching... ;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:50:10 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Especially as it steel reinforced behind the leather. 8-)
Ed Sirett wrote:

Surely there's scope for a James Dyson-esque cyclonic sludge filter kind of thing. a form of central-heating centrifuge or similar.
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:05:38 +0000, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;) wrote:

Frankly the magnaclean is more or less that with magnetic retention of the debris.

the
clean
Feedback so far is that they do what it says on the box. "All" debris is caught, and the minute iron is caught by the magnet.
words:

Watched an engineer service my neighbours Zetor farm tractor recently. Surprised to discover that had a centrifugal oil filter. He said it had been invented by Mercedes. Perhaps that is where Dyson got the idea for his vacuum cleaner.
--
Roger Chapman

comments?
removal
carpet
the
sludge.
How many change the inhibitor every 4 years? Few and far between, then after 10 years problems. A filter helps enormously, as it it is there it is cleaned on the service.

Some boilers already have this integrated.

removal
Alphas already have this - not trasparent.

Nice to have.

I always do this.

I always do this.

Some do this

Maganclean does this.

I would recommend a modern programmable thermostat.
I have one drain valve, in the kitchen where a little water on the floor does not matter. I connect a hose pipe to this to partially drain the system. The main distribution is in the ground floor ceiling so this valve does no drain many of the downstairs radiators. When I recently changed some of the downstairs radiator valves, I did contemplate fitting drain valves but decided not to bother. It is quite easy to losen the radiator valve to let water out, I would not work above a fitted carpet anyway, and you could be sure that I could not find a try to go under a drain valve anyway!
Fortunately I have not had to many problems with sludge.
--

Michael Chare