Another strange wall repair idea

Hi

Take a block wall and split it from top to bottom. Tilt one side of the wall over so the top has moved sideways by about 3/4 of an inch. Ie the 2 sides dont align at the top.

Now, I dont believe this, but someone is telling me that this wall can be satisfactorily repaired by nothing more than replacing the split blocks and repointing at the split. How can one do that if the 2 halves dont line up? I know one _could_, but it'd be a right bodge, surely.

Your comments will be welcome...

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If the wall has split, the foundations are shot. Nothing you do, even rebuilding the wall, will fix the problem. On the other hand, if the wall isn't load bearing, and is unlikely to fall, flexible resin may be OK to make a semi-permanent repair.

Reply to
Nigel Mercier ®

If it has been determined that there is no progressive movement ie the walls will not move any further apart, then this is an effective repair. It may not be cosmetically appealling, but it should be structurally OK.

If further movement is expected, then re-inforcement in the horizontal joints, and a flexible sealant is the answer.

The two sections may never be perfectly re-aligned though.

The important thing is to determine the cause of the crack and deal with that. The crack is just the symptom.

dg

Reply to
dg