Another mad washing machine question

If I use pre-wash on a 60 degree wash programme, what temperature is the pre-wash likely to be? My understanding is that the pre-wash should be at a lower temperature using biological detergent with lots of pauses before moving on to the main wash, where biological detergent should not be needed due to the temperature.

Reply to
Scott

On most machines, just cold water. Ideal for removing caked on mud (eg football jerseys)

Reply to
harry

Yes, should be cold, which will also help remove some types of organic soiling which can be cooked on before they get cleaned, such as some proteins (although modern washing machines are all profiled temperature washes, starting off below 35C to achieve this even on high temperature washes).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Its amazing to me how we have got to this washing program place. When I was young we had a twin tub and it all seemed to be easy, obviously more manual work was involved to some extent, but I do not remember the clothing coming out any less clean than now. Is this all a lot of hype to sell more different washing products at higher prices and to make machines far more complicated? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is the reason why all new machines are cold fill. In days of yore, most machines filled with both hot and cold water.

Reply to
harry

The reason is that its cheaper and they don't use anything like as much hot water.

Hot and Cold fill washing machines had bio cycles which kept the temp down anyway.

Reply to
dennis

Expense comes into it. But all washing benefits from a start incold water. Stains are not set in by being dunked with hot water.

Reply to
harry

As I said above H&C fill doesn't mean you always fill with H.

Reply to
dennis