Another Grand Design goes plonk.

Weatherlawyer wrote:

The Times reviewer described the woman as having "limited people skills". I was quite disappointed that no-one stormed off site in a big huff. It's so much more fun when things go *really* wrong.
Their budget came in about 20k below what the original builder estimated for, which is rather better than many professionals would achieve, especially considering they were paying daywork rates.
But I didn't like either the building or the people.
Owain
If these people ever bothered to watch the series, which has been running for years now, they'd soon discover trying to do it all without a project manager and architect will only lead to the worst possible outcome...being publicly humiliated on national TV with know it all patronising remarks from Kevin McCleod.
RedOnRed wrote:

Actually in my case, the best thing was sacking the project manager.
Once I realised he knew less about building than I did.

Project managers are just supposed to be skilled in running projects in terms of co-ordinating and planning work etc, without necessarily possessing any trade skills expertise.
In that respect, any project manager should be able to manage any project regardless of theme, ie construction, IT, etc.
RedOnRed wrote:

I expect that's how the Civil Service work.
Owain
RedOnRed wrote:

Exactly.
Thats what I found. The disciplines of running a project were the same. My background as far as project management is in engineering project management.
My project managers background was in lying cheating, and a failed investment banker.
HOWEVER I would say that understanding what the trades do, is key to understanding and identifying tradesmen who are actually reliable and effuicient.
Once I realised that my brickie was not laying bricks as fast as I could...but the carpeneters were putting up studwork three times as fast as I could, and better..
..once upon a time, I sat down at a carousel and spent two days stuffing my design of boards with components..and was thereby able to give the production manager a 'fair' time of manufacture for them. About three times faster than he claimed his staff could actually make them.
Hands on is a simple way to check the quality of those doing the job.

I can but agree. Having someone shouting at you from ground level when you are trying to assemble roof trusses at roof level is not my idea of communication! I would always look forward to Grand Designs but the first two of this series have been lacking. Design or style is very much in the eye of the beholder and will always be subjective but I have seen nothing that is a Grand Design!
PhilC

But I have watched the new series alongside the bits of the last series that I missed. I wonder how much business that Finnish company got after the 'log cabin' programme?

started
big
you
that I

Not sure which log cabin you refer to but have met the people that built the timber house in Kent. They now represent that company in the UK and have had many enquiries and at least three orders. They also made the comment that it's the producer that scripts many of Kevin's remarks to make 'good tv'
PhilC

[Snip]
Having watched 5 or 6 of the programmes in the last week I've lost track of which was where! The one in question was built by a furniture maker & wife who ran a riding school. They had brought up their three kids in a corner of his workshop!!?
John Cartmell wrote:

erlund house http://www.erlund-house.com/ from 57k + land
I want one.
snipped ....

This one . http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-designs/houses/K/kent.html
And if you want to ask Kevin McCloud anything he is here on the 19th.April
http://www.channel4.com/community/c4chat /
Stuart

What are you talking about?
<puzzled>
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Well, it all started with a man called John Logi Baird ...
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:49:01 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)"
Nah. He was the prat that tried to market something akin to a large flick-book, in a furniture cabinet.
EricP wrote:

Ah, Mary prolly has one of those at least ! :)
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain

I suspect they did. The first builder, Paul, was getting the finger pointed at him for cocking up the floor when he was told the wrong datum point. There was a veiled hint that the Scottish/Greek crew couldn't stand it any more and buggered off back to the Greek islands and some peace.

I liked the building well enough, but the owners are a pair of wankers.
--

Dave

I didnt see the end of the project but what I don't understand is why the local planners are so restrictive about the windows .They allow them to put two huge glass doors or windows where the sliding doors were but refuse them to insert any other windows where they would be of most benefit ....Was the building listed in any way ...presumably not if they allowed the big glass .
Stuart

local
huge
insert
Listed or not I believe the terminology used is 'Will not allow further openings'
PhilC

And talking about hot, I was unconvinced that whatever insulation was installed could make up for the single glazed clerestory and the large, exposed masonry walls. I'd guess quite an expensive house to heat - for its size.
--
Rod