Another Grand Design goes plonk.

Dumb, ugly and aggressive, such a wonderful combination.

The few shots we had of their design work and place of work made me shudder, I presume that their "design" work is mostly for the sort of furniture that goes into old people's homes.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Is it normal design practice to have the bottom of the stairs no more than a couple of feet from the wall? Anyone coming downstairs will need to a sharp turn the moment they reach the bottom of the stairs, or will be banging their head on the wall. see :-

airsmoothed

Sour grapes. Join the bunch.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

don't think the architect or project manager were capable of using a tape measure. Did anyone understand having two walkways either side of the bathroom 'pod' - neither of which was wide enough for a comfortable passage?

Reply to
John Cartmell

>I don't think the architect or project manager were capable of using a tape

What I'd be interested in seeing is any of the "knockers" in this thread picking what they consider to be the very worst of the Grand Design projects and comparing it photographically with their own best work. It would be very educational, I'm sure. ;-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've never had 400,000 GBP spare! ;-) My 'own hands' work tends to be limited in size to sheds and beds - but I still 'measure and check' more for minor items like book covers than they did for a house for which they'd paid 250,000 for the shell. I've no quibbles with the fellow making mistakes on three of his support pillars in the log-house; he'd done the measuring and made a simple error. I'll feel free to be critical at those who don't even make basic measurements - and still spend lots of money on the untested assumption that a barn on a hillside has a horizontal floor (despite the local sheep having a distinct lean as they pass through ;-).

Reply to
John Cartmell

You have several times implied that criticism of the design of a product is forbidden to anyone who has not personally designed *and produced* a better example of the same product.

I disagree.

I have never in my life designed or produced a kettle, nor am I ever likely to do so. If I did, I know damn well that *my* kettle would produce a single, easily directed stream of water, flowing away from the body of the kettle.

My current kettle does not achieve this, by quite a long way. Despite my lack of experience in designing kettles, I have been a user of them over a period of several decades, and thus feel fully qualified to call the designer of mine a complete dork. I am sorry if this offends you.

Reply to
Joe

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Weatherlawyer" saying something like:

Exactly. Then went running back to the architect whenever there was a problem, expecting it for free, the cheeky buggers.

Imo, if they had retained the architect all that would have been easily dealt with. I got the impression the architect was asked to draw up a set of plans for 'a barn conversion this size' without being told or shown the building. They then dismissed the architect and tried to do it on the cheap.

As for that woman in charge... what a two-faced bitch. Everybody was to blame but herself. She badmouthed the first builder, the second contractor after he'd left for Greece and the architect several times.

My initial thought was the first builder gave her an inflated estimate to price himself off the job so he wouldn't have to deal with her anymore... as it turned out, he was bang on in his estimate of £420K.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain saying something like:

I suspect they did. The first builder, Paul, was getting the finger pointed at him for cocking up the floor when he was told the wrong datum point. There was a veiled hint that the Scottish/Greek crew couldn't stand it any more and buggered off back to the Greek islands and some peace.

I liked the building well enough, but the owners are a pair of wankers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And I have never designed nor been involved in the production of toasters but I damn well know that if I was involved in toaster design I would make sure that they were able to acccommodate slices of most breads on sale without the user having to cut pieces of each slice ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Of course, it tends to be those who can't measure and their professional contractors who don't even know what a tape measure is who are rich enough for this type of project.;-)

I can just imagine. Even your efforts in terms of sheds and beds would provide material for some comparisons showing your possibly superior skills and taste. Will you provide some examples?

I've never pre-planned to watch the program but I've seen parts of several of the projects and have felt only admiration for the people and the work they've produced, despite any mistakes.

No they don't, they compensate, just like all the knockers here compensate for their inadequacies by slagging off people they'll never have the skill or imagination to surpass.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Joe, didn't I forbid you to post here?

Kettle dreams.

Why did you buy it?

It didn't

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Ah, Mary prolly has one of those at least ! :¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Project managers are just supposed to be skilled in running projects in terms of co-ordinating and planning work etc, without necessarily possessing any trade skills expertise.

In that respect, any project manager should be able to manage any project regardless of theme, ie construction, IT, etc.

Reply to
RedOnRed

It was plainy obvious it had little if any foundations, simply by looking at it on TV.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I'm glad I never wasted my time on it. I don't think I will bother with any more of them.

The company producing these c*ck ups aught to have some sort of quality control. Is it the same agency Davina Macall works for?

BraneDedSRu.? It seems that's where they find their cast. Big Brother's Bumper House of Stupid.

I would watch the episode that SFB's efforts were aired on, if only because I'd be content that I was right all the way through the horrors.

*******

To SFB:

What does the word "design" connote?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I expect that's how the Civil Service work.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Like when did barns ever have foundations ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

And talking about hot, I was unconvinced that whatever insulation was installed could make up for the single glazed clerestory and the large, exposed masonry walls. I'd guess quite an expensive house to heat - for its size.

Reply to
Rod

The message from Rod contains these words:

I didn't see it the first time around but they reran it last night on More 4 so after all those adverse comments I just had to watch it.

The exposed walls did strike me as a great heat loss but they did insulate the roof and I presume the floor (although we were shown nothing of that aspect). Incidentally are you sure the glazing was single?

The building has only just been finished and wasn't long in the planning so how did they get round the current stringent heat loss requirements?

It does seem totally bizarre that they could have designed the interior without noticing that they didn't have the height at the uphill end of the building and the confusion about base datum was, if possible, even more stupid. The architect claimed the underside of truss No 6 was the datum and shown on the drawings as such. No attempt was made to explain where the builder got his obscure datum from but it looked to me that he was working from the original threshold level.

On a somewhat different note the presenter kept on referring to the original doorway as the threshing opening. Barns typically had high doorways so loaded wagons could enter long before the advent of heavy machinery so is threshing opening a technical term that has somehow passed me by or was the presenter talking bollocks?

Reply to
Roger