"angled" brick piers

I am going to build a garden wall of single thickness stretcher bond construction with brick piers...My problem is that the wall will need to have a turn mid point at ant agle of about 77 degrees. This will be a the pier...Can anyone explain, ordirect me to a web site that explains how to create the bond at the pier at an obscure angle?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

It is reasonably easy to just create the dogleg and keep the bond going by squint cutting the bricks at the pier ... i.e. rear edge of brick will be longer than front edge. If you want to do it neat .. mark with chalk and cut a groove about 5mm into brick with angle grinder then chop through with bolster.

A good book with drawings of piers is "The BDA Guide to Successful Brickwork " isbn 0 340 75899 6

Or the original Bricklayers apprentice required reading - Elementary Principles of Brickwork Construction J G V Proudman

A classic work, with loads of fold out detailed sheets on quoin work, arches, piers, buttresses etc.

The level of detail is incredible - probably surpasses skill-set of many current bricklayers.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rick,

Thats fine, but what happens on the next course, when the brick "stradles" the angle?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

You can buy "specials" from your builders merchants I paid about 2 quid a brick they are cut and glued you cannot see the join. You have to send the bricks to the company but the merchants will do that at least my local TP did. They are called " cut and stuck" Hope this helps

Rob

Reply to
rob w