An energy first as UK successfully transmits data via national electricity grid

But net banking and the mobile phone system is adequately secure.
Military drones in spades.
Perfectly possible.
On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 19:17:41 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:

l Grid,

ccessfully-transmits-data-via-national-electricity-grid

Data was being transmitted on the grid back in the 1970s. Eg, you could buy baby alarms which plugged into 13a sockets, data transmit ted through the house wiring
And then of course many many radio frequencies, already polluted by powerline adaptors and badly designed swith mode psus would be totally unusable anywhere in the country. What a bummer. Brian
--
----- -
On 12 Oct 2016 08:31, Brian Gaff wrote:

I might be missing something here but just an hour ago I did a favour for a friend and took a card to a shop, gave them some money and they printed out a receipt with a multi digit number on it. I then typed * long number# into a keypad by the meter and it credited the money to the electricity meter. As far as I can see no telephone line is connected so how does that work? At no time other than at the shop did I need the card.
--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra

On Wednesday, 12 October 2016 11:35:26 UTC+1, Zephirum wrote:

The *longnumber# will be an encrypted string for that particular meter including the amount of credit to be added, issued from the supplier's database over the paypoint network.
If it's Northern Ireland Keypad it's usually a 20 digit number, but 40 and 60 digit numbers are also used occasionally and can be used to encode a rate change.
The supplier's database and the customer meter will be reconciled with a physical meter reading (in theory annually).
Owain
On 12 Oct 2016 14:00, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Ah OK thanks for that so the meter has an algorithm thing to read the 20 digit number, not magic at all. It's republic rather than north.
--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra