American toilet design?

What was un-PC about it?

Agreed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But our trap is a tenth of the size, mind you, with the size of American butts....

Mine stays dirty once in 50 uses. But then I don't have constant explosive diarrhea. I suggest not eating so much. It'll make your butt a decent size too.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Even using a fair amount of toilet paper can jam any toilet.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why the hell did we stop using them? Maybe we didn't like water splashing our arses when we dropped a big one.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The Indians don't like the term squaw.

The name had already been toned down from Squaw Tit:

I can't think of any reason anyone would have called it that.

It's a nice hike with great views. I never measured it with the GPS but I'd guess the last 300' of elevation is a non-technical rock hop. There's no distinct trail and I don't think I've ever taken the same exact path. Last October there was enough snow that I was able to retrace my path part of the way before I got to bare rock. It's 7,989 ft, not the highest around here but quite distinctive.

Reply to
rbowman

Well, that's the thing with the internet... Unfortunately we allowed it to spread to Europe. If a Belgian accesses Farcebook or Twitter, whose regulations apply?

They do seem to well and truly screwed. Around here the August forest fires are a fact of life, and sometimes homes get burned, but they're never as widespread and devastating. Damn good thing; we don't have any beaches to evacuate to.

Reply to
rbowman

Yours. They have the choice not to access it if they don't like your rules.

Just as when I go to France, I can (and have) got done for laws that are applicable only there.

You'd think if there were devastating fires there would be nothing left to devastate next time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

See your doctor about hyperchondria. Actually, don't, they have better things to do.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And yet you go on about showering less than average.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And somehow this can go all the way along the mains pipe to another outlet? I don't think so, it's always under pressure.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Lakes are nice. I grew up with lakes but they tend to be scarcer in a semi-arid climate. Unfortunately I know how to fish lakes but never got into that whole trout and running water thing.

I have a dual sport bike so I'm not entirely against motor sports but I use it to get to hiking trailheads and start walking. Even when someone rides a single track on a bike there isn't a lot of damage unless they're being an idiot. 4x4s on the other hand, tend to tear things up. My prejudice is showing but since it requires a lower skill level the riders run towards idiocy. It doesn't help that you can carry a lot more beer on a 4x4.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm not sure of the nuances of 'bushfire' but I've gathered some of them are grassland/scrub fires. The fuel grows back. It's the California model. Their chaparral is scrubland with relatively fast growing species.

In this area a forest can take up to 100 years to regenerate. I often hike in an area that burned in 2003. There are some seedlings but it will be a long time before there's anything to burn. The duff burned down to mineral soil. Even the root systems of the trees burned out. A month after the fires you'd go by smoking craters where the roots were still slowly burning underground. A fire like that even takes out the shrubs and grasses.

Reply to
rbowman

Too much tanning and you get skin cancer and other problems. Leather look when old.

The pasty and ill look is really the healthy kind.

Many years ago that was the look of the Southern women. Should be comming back now people are more health wise.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Only way I can catch a fish is by spear. I never got the hand of a rod and line.

I thought bikes would be wheelspinning more.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Don't be so gullible. Actually the vitamin D you create with sunlight PREVENTS cancer. Many studies have shown those who get a decent amount of sun have a much lower chance of getting any type of cancer.

I have a friend who's 60, he's tanned a LOT his whole life, and his skin is as smooth as a baby's buttocks.

Or gullible morons. I suppose you believe in global warming too? How about god?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Grass may grow back quickly, but you can put it out easily. I'm assuming it's the trees causing the firefighters a problem. Rod?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Eucalyptus is a very nasty tree to have a fire in. The wood is somewhat oily and tends to explode when it burns (the wood is hard and brittle) thus showering burning embers all around. The fire front moves very quickly. I met some folks who had been burned out in the Oakland fire of late 1989 (3000 houses burned); they said they had about ten minutes to get out.

I read that the Aussie situation has been made worse by the greenies insisting that scrub surrounding towns and houses not be removed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Indeed. What confuses me is, don't they have these fires quite often? How come there are so many trees left to burn again?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

a fire in. The wood is somewhat oily

And the branches and leaves even more so.

That doesn?t happen.

Because once the fire crowns, in very strong wind and high temperature situation it goes at a hell of a rate and the massive updraft due the fire itself lifts the burning stuff up with it and sets fire to what isnt yet on fire well ahead of the main fire. It literally roar like a freight train the fire is so fierce.

Not even that with a wind change.

That?s a myth. Ours was burnt off last year.

Reply to
Ray

Trout fisherman with all their fancy flies and crap get incensed when I mention the only trout I ever caught I shot with a .22. I'd been squirrel hunting with no luck and walking back to the car I crossed a bridge over a little creek. There was the trout hanging out, perfect vertical shot with no parallax to worry about.

Not that much except on very steep hills. If you lose traction and start bouncing off rocks you're screwed. You also tend to be a little more conservative on a bike. If you gas your way up some gnarly crap you know you have to come down. A novice on a 4x4 can go places only a really good biker would try.

It's a lot like bikes and cars. A bike has a lot better acceleration than anything but the muscle cars but when it comes to corners I'll take a car any day. A little gravel you don't even notice in a car can ruin your day on a bike.

Reply to
rbowman