Am I being ripped off?

I would say if he was working alone, quite probably it would.

Laying cables takes a heck of a sight more time than you might think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It can be tedious wiring as a DIY'er, not sure how long it takes the professionals. I spend most of the time working out the routing. Sod's Law says that once you've made a decision to route one way you'll find there was a far easier way of doing it later.

To the OP, the amount seems reasonable given what he charged for the re-wire. Providing he did not run the cat5 and co-ax through the same runs as the mains cable. As said, lesson learnt. Always get the job priced first.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

In message , Dave Sharp writes

Nobody seems to know, except one person said it seemed reasonable.

Did you watch him fit any back boxes, or run any cables i.e. can you gauge how long it took him to do each part of the job?

I could guess at say, 45 minutes per back box, and 45 minutes for each cable run to the hall - 18 hours.

Smoke alarm cables say, say, 6 hours.

1 hour lunch and 2 x 15 mins breaks per day - 6 hours

Anyone else?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

To be honest 4 days does not sound excesssive. Personally I would be quite happy with a bill of 400 odd if not doing the work myself.

(It took me about a day to do three mains powered smoke alarms)

Reply to
John Rumm

It looks like it should be no more than 2 days work to me and that

going at it really slow.

With the boards up and a empty house thats one slow spark you've go there. I would be really interested in seeing his Qualifications, I'm carpenter and I cost £150 a day.

And to the other's in this forum, race or place of origin has nothin to do with competence

-- vonryan

Reply to
vonryan