Alternative shed roofs

hello

We're about to get a wooden workshop in our garden, with 25mm loglap T&G walls, a T&G apex roof and floor, with the roof being finished in "40kg" mineral fibre reinforced felt (presumably a 40kg roll of some specific area):

cost of fitting Onduline is quoted to be a good 30% extra which is a bit too costly (even though it may represent good value, I don't know either way). What other products could people recommend please?

Thanks

DDS

Reply to
Duncan Di Saudelli

I'm a great advocate of Onduline and I would really challenge the extra 30% - just go and do your homework at B & Q and you will find that *IF* they do a proper felt roof - that is under felt nailed on and a properly glued down top layer - that the material cost is near enough the same and the labour cost very considerably less for Onduline. A properly felted roof will last at least 15 years - Onduline should last very much more than that.

I would suspect that, as another poster has said, the '40kg' felt may, for a start be of a nominal quality, and quite likely will not be bonded, which will result in it being ripped off by the third or fourth gale down the road.

I would follow that up with the supplier if I were you, even to the point of investigating if you can buy it without the felting and put the Onduline on your self.

You don't say how big a shed, but felting an 8 x 20 ft garage properly some time ago took me 2 days.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

A friend of mine covered his garage with 'Plastisol' coated corrugated steel sheet several years ago and has been very pleased with it.

am thinking of adding box section corrugated PVC over the felt on my sheds.

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar