alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

If you read up on P and Q channels in the context of digital audio, you will find there most certainly *is* a digital code that indicates the presence, or otherwise, of audio tracks, including the pauses in between each track. You are right in that a basic audio disk is one continuous spiral of data, though. Clever shenanigans such as multi- sessions, track-at-once recording and truly random access are largely confined to cd-roms.
-- "Money is the root of all wealth."
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:49:44 +0100, Adrian wrote:

==================================It might make sense to combine (more or less) (1) and (2). A second computer either new or second-hand could be used as a dedicated 'music box' with permanently attached turntable and tape player. The advantages are that second-hand computers are dirt cheap or if you decided on new (about GB 200 pounds for a reasonable base unit) you would have a spare computer to cover any breakdowns.
Still tedious, of course, but less frustrating than an unavailable computer.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
wrote:

Oh no - not more computers, please ! I guess it's not so much of an inconvenience really - but the nice thing about the Sony machine was that it was intelligent enough to understand 'tracks' on an lp and (allegedly!) break up the final CD into tracks. I guess it'd have a reasonable resale value - so it it's not necessarily 200 down the drain...

True...
Thanks Adrian
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:57:07 +0100, Adrian wrote:

==================================The Sony machine you quote (Sony RCDW100 Twin CDR) appears to be a CD copier (CD to CD) so it wouldn't really be any help in transferring your LPs and tapes to CD. You would need something with inputs from a turntable and tape player which doesn't appear to be the case with this Sony machine. If it does have these inputs I would be quite interested as it would be a genuinely dedicated machine. Have you got any further information?
As far as recognising track breaks is concerned, I think that most commercial copying software (e.g. 'Spin Doctor') and probably most Shareware software will do this but not entirely reliably. It appears to work on the basis of recognising longer periods of silence which is reasonably accurate for most LP / Tape / CD tracks but it can give spurious results when the music itself includes periods of silence such as often happens in Classical music.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
wrote:

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-RCDW100-SIL&SID80e5f0fee72ce3127f6f883a5ddb725
Sorry for the long link ! There's a link on this page to the manufacturer's PDF operating manual - which seems to say that you can do cd-cd copies as well as burning cds from any other analogue (?or digital) inputs.
Apparently it also has the ability to recognise track breaks..

Yes - wouldn't be the end of the world if the odd spurious 'non-track' got into a cd.....
Still can't decide which way to jump <g> - sounds as if mp3 might be the way to go. The 'purist' approach regarding fidelity isn't a big issue for me - music tends to be on in the background or while driving - so as long as it's 'listenable' then that'd be fine...
Just had a quick play around BearShare - looks interesting...... now need to go looking for mp3-capable car radios (though I believe they're known as 'heads' nowadays. Funny - in boating circles 'head' has a completely different meaning <g>.
Regards Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Yep, me too.

Yep, me too :-)

Yep, me too - but it is long, tedious, boring work. I have now buried my conscience and started downloading mp3 files wherever I can find them, on the basis that I have paid for the music already. It may be legally incorrect, but seems morally OK to me.

One problem - your car is probably positive earth? My 68 Traveller is, and I doubt many modern car stereo systems are anything other than negative earth? Could alter the car, I suppose.

Just be lazy like everyone else, and download mp3s.

I would then go for an iPod type player. My wife has one, and I must admit to being impressed. Latest toy is a 'docking station' affair, so that she can listen in the home without needing the ear plugs. There are probably 12v versions designed for in car use?
--
Graeme

HI Graeme
wrote:

That's a relief - thought it was just me !

I feel better already !

We should start a self-help group <g>

Wonder where / how you find this free content ? I did have a browse around a couple of months ago but all the Google hits seemed to be 'free-once-you've-paid-us-some-money' - which isn't quite my idea of free.

Nope - she's been converted to neg earth and got a bright, shiny new alternator - so (in that respect at least) is bang up to date. Didn't know that you were a member of the 'oily driveway' brigade <g>

That was my original plan. Any idea how much music fits into one of these machines ? I think I'd want one which allowed different memory sticks or cards to be inserted - unless, of course, the 'track capacity' of the things is so great that it makes this irrelevant.
To put it into perspective, my days of long-distance driving are well over - a long journey for us at the moment is the drive into Cork city - which takes all of an hour and a half - and is only to be attempted after packing survival rations, thermos flasks of tea and distress flares. (Not a consequence of owning the Traveller - was like that before !)
Many thanks Adrian
Hi Adrian,

There are two options, really. Probably best for individual tracks is Limewire :
http://www.limewire.com /
Others have mentioned torrents, from sites like Pirate Bay. For that, you need a 'client', and utorrent is highly recommended by many. Download the client, search for torrents, and away you go. A torrent is just a file that contains other files, such as mp3s, avis etc. I would make sure your virus checker is up to date, though, as you don't really know what you have downloaded until it is on your hard drive. Torrents are more complete albums than individual tracks. Many videos, too, but watch your bandwidth. Probably highly illegal, too.
http://www.utorrent.com /

Excellent. I'm learning a lot from this thread, too. Memory sticks, and such things.

Heh. Oily trailer ATM. Plan is to do a bit of work this summer.

My wife's iPod is 2GB, which apparently equates to around 500 tracks.
The music file on my hard drive is 19GB, and probably contains in excess of 3000 tracks.

I think the largest iPod is currently 8GB, or 2000 tracks, but they can, of course, be erased and replaced ad infinitum.

Sounds like us, driving to the bright lights of Perth or Aberdeen :-)
--
Graeme

HI Graeme
wrote:

Right - I'll look into that later - thanks !

In my case it's more a case of 'memory fades' - but I know what you mean !

We're in the process of completing a large carport so that work on the car continue _despite_ the Irish weather !

Coo ! That's quite a lot...

Understand that... I was wondering whether it'd be necessary to take along several USB sticks for a journey - but probably not....
Maybe different sticks for different styles of music...

Dindn't know Perth had any bright lights. Didn't the last time I was up there - but that was a few years ago..
Ah well - off to plant a few more lettuces and play a bit more with the carport...
Thanks Adrian
Graeme wrote:

Search for Limewire 4.12.6, which is still kicking around the web. I think the latest version from Limewire is pay per download

And the rest.....
I would

Too slow for most people. They say the binary groups are faster
In uk.d-i-y, Alan wrote:

It's good if you want something simple, but for power users it doesn't hold a candle to J River Music Center, IMO.

I also have a nearly-full 60 Gb iPod, but I have an Audi factory-fit head unit with Dension Ice-Link adapter, which (like your Alpine unit, I imagine) allows me to use the steering-wheel volume/next/previous controls. So the iPod stays tucked out of sight in the glove box.
--
Mike Barnes

When I was in the market for this I found that very few adaptors gave the display info on-screen - like the current Artinst, Album, Track etc. The Alpine does this, which is nice for finding the track you want. The others I looked at the time just treated the iPod as a limitless CD changer with just track up/down functionality, but little ability to navigate round the iPod.
Alan.
In uk.d-i-y, Alan wrote:

Exactly right. Personally I'm quite happy to stick the iPod on album shuffle and take what I'm given. Passengers sometimes like to exercise some choice and they can easily do that by taking the iPod out of the glove box and using its controls.
Artist and title display on the head unit would be nice (but I've quite enjoyed guessing!). My system is three years old and I understand that more modern adapters do a better job. I'm about to replace the car so I'll soon find out.
I don't have much choice as modern Audis aren't compatible with after- market head units. I quite like that as it means mine's less likely to get nicked.
--
Mike Barnes